• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mosquito Repelents What Do You Use ???

I can't even walk outside with out being attacked by hundreds of them blood sucking West Nile caring things. I'm one of those weird people that is allergic to about every thing that is sprayed out of a can or a bottle. Anybody got a home remedie that they use that works?
<><Mary><>

Since mosquitos are attracted to carbon dioxide....I guess the only thing that would work is to hold your breath!!!! Maybe a gas mask would work too...OR you can spray the person you are with with an attractant....AUGH! I sure am in a goofy mood tonight.... smile.gif

HaHa!!!

Jill

The very best repellent I know of is citronella oil. You can get it at alot of drug stores, My daughter used it for a science project and it took her to state!!! What you might want to do to is put some aloe vera gel with it, I know this sounds wierd but if you put about 1/2 tsp salt in about 2oz of gel it will disolve it to liquid and keep it there, then add about 15 drops of oil and viola, no more bugs. Works great with blackflies and dearflies to. Hope It works.

Well I'm fortunate enough to be one of the few people the skeeters don't really like; but when the bugs get bad I use 100% deet. My mom claims Avon's Skin so Soft works but I just can't stand the smell of it. It's been almost 2 weeks since I've been out where the bugs actually have a chance to bite me and I'm kind of looking forward to it this coming weekend. Good luck on your search for the perfect bug repelant.

Get some ORTHO from the local grain elevator or at Fleet Farm. It is about $42 a jug but will last a season or so. (Be sure to store it inside in the winter.)

Mix it up as they say and put in a sprayer and hit the yard and the areas around your home or cabin. ORTHO will get rid of skeeters, gnats, ants, spiders, and the hoards of pesky crickets, you name it. It is also about the safest you can find for people, pets, and the environment.

A tip I have used this year is to also spray the inside of the boat with ORTHO, really keeps the bugs away, even the fish flies.

Hope this helps.

Ed

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Maryjl, here is a trick that may work for you. I guide on the alaska peninsula every summer, the wind typically blows enough that the bugs are'nt a problem. about 1 out of 10 days when the wind dies the bugs rise up like something out of a horror movie. The only thing that is effective is a repellant that contains 100% DEET (Muskol or Bens 100). 2or 3 drops will keep every single bug off for 3 to 4 hrs, skeeters, whitesox, and blackflies. It does not have to be put on your skin, Muskol sells a small pump spray bottle. A small amount can be spayed on a hat, shirt, socks, bandana, etc. this will be the most effective repellant money can buy. Just remember it must be the 100% Deet or it will not be anywhere near as effective. One warning tho, be careful as to what it is sprayed on. It can and will melt fishing line, sunglass frames, nylon clothing, pvc raingear, etc, etc, etc. Give this a try and you will be amazed at how well it works. And as a note to everyone if it is not 100% DEET it is a waste of money! Kwkfsh

So if you take a paper towel and put the deet on it and just set it close to where you are the bugs will stay away???

Where do you buy 100% Deet???

<><Mary><>

It seems that a couple of drops of DEET will give a bug free zone of 2 to 21/2 ft.. I have never had any reaction to it so I put a couple of drops on the back of one hand, rub the backs together and then rub them on neck and forehead. That will keep everything at bay for 3 or 4 hrs. It also keeps it from getting on the part of my hands that touch things that it can damage. There are 2 brands that are almost all DEET, MUSKOL(turqouise green bottle) and BENS 100 (orange bottle). They come in small about 2 oz. bottles for about 5 bucks, and MUSKOL has a small pump spray bottle. Even tho they claim to be 100%DEET they are actually 95% DEET and 5% other isomers.You should be able to get it at any well stocked sporting goods store. Both companys also sell spray cans of repellant that has much less DEET in it 16 to 40% but do not waste your money, you will end up using 4 or 5 times as much and it will still be much less effective. Once you try this in a truly buggy area you will never spend your money on any other product.

I looked for 100 % deet last week and couldn't find any so I got some deep woods off and that worked fine. The only problem I had is they would fly under my glasses and get me in the eye lids. I can't beleive how bad the mosquito's are this year. I'm almost hoping for a frost to kill them all. My Newphew had a hourse die from West Nile. I have to admit that it is a little scary and I think about it every time I get bit. I'm going to keep looking for the 100% deet and try that. I wish there was some thing less toxic out there that worked.
Thanks for all the info.

<><Mary><>

I was in Gander Mtn today and they have the muskol pump spray bottles for $4.99. They also have the 3M ultrathon for $6.99, it is also DEET based but it is only 23% DEET. They have the repellents in the camping section.

I guess I can't say I have "proof" but I don't think bug spray helps your fishing.....At least don't get any on your hands or bait.

I do use deep woods off if I really need too. I usually will wear a raincoat,waders,and my bee keeper hat.....That along with a healthy diet of chips and hot sauce before going out. ukliam2.gif

The skeeters do seem to back off well after dark if you can make it through the twilight hours!

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

We've been using Bioganic Shoo-bug, an all natural repellant. Bioganic also has a wilderness repellant that has 40% citronella oil, haven't tried it yet though. I think the wife has been buying it at wal-mart

[This message has been edited by Bogsucker (edited 09-13-2002).]

Ultrathon is what we used this past summer. Next summer, though, I'm gonna try garlic tablets. When I lived down south in FL I used to give my dog a whole clove a day, just like a pill, 'cause an old swampie told me it kept the fleas off - it did. No fleas=no tapeworm down FL way.
SIDE NOTE: When he did get an occasional tapeworm infestation from eating whatever nasty dump he ate on his nightly excursions, the tobacco from one cigarette dumped into canned food would kill 'em all off, and no harm to the dog.
God bless old Swampies.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC