• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buffalo Area

Hi - New to this forum, looks real good. I live on Buffalo Lake, west of Twin Cities. Any other women fishers in my area? How about flyfishers? I've been casting poppers from my shore & having fun with bass & sunnys.

------------------
Tight Lines

Hey BuffaloFisher - welcome to our forum! It is always nice to have another fishingchick on the site. Sorry, but I live in the west central part of the state but I know a lot of the people on the site are from the cities area. Have a great weekend and come back and visit with us often - we need all the women we can get!

------------------
Phyl

Welcome BuffaloFisher,

There was a girl that came on here from the City's but I haven't seen her on here for a while I think her name was Fishgirl. Maybe she will post when she see's your post.

Do you ever get down to the Waterville area? Thats where I spend most of my weekends in the summer.
<><Mary><>

Hey y'all, FishGirl here. I didn't cruise the boards much during ice season, I must admit. Been on a 2 week, 7000 mile roadtrip vacation. Saw some fly fishers out in Colorado. That appears to require some *skill*--I could see myself with the line wrapped firmly around my neck!

Anyway, I'm out in SW Metro, and tend to fish "when I can". I must apologize for the weather. It is all my fault. I bought myself a nice new bike for my B-day in April, rode it that Saturday, then it snowed that Sunday, the weekend after, etc. Sunday I wanted to ride after I finally caught up on my post-vacation errands and tasks. Sure enough, soon as I gathered up my shoes, started raining. Waited it out. Rain stopped. Gathered up my fanny pack. Started raining again. Waited again. Finally stopped long enough to ride.

I see that the dirt launch area at Grey's (Tonka) seems even more crowded than last year--probably because they've torn up the launching and stuff next to it. So I was thinking perhaps riding the bike out there to fish and avoid the parking hassle. But looks like that would add too much time. So I'll probably stick to Shady Oak. Parking is easy, it's a quick drive, so if I only have a couple of hours to fish, I use most of that time to actually fish rather than wander around trying to park. Besides, looks like Tonka is getting weedy along the shore already. No good for shore fishers like me.

Got my license for the year, but haven't been out yet. Got busy getting ready for vacation, then being on vacation, now catching up on stuff from vacation. Hopefully, things will even out soon and I can get out there. I've also been busy writing horror stories and trying to get published. Some of my fishing outings probably qualify as good material. :-)

Later...
FishGirl

HI FishGirl,

Good to have you back. So how was your vacation, did you fish any where? 7000 miles thats a lot of miles. I've never gotten into flyfishing either seems to complcated to me. I'd rather relax and watch a bobber or feel the bite on the end of my jig. More power to those who do do it though.

Sounds like BuffaloFisher is from your area. Would be great if you girls can hook up and go fishing together.

Good luck on getting published. I wrote a kids book once but only sent it in to one place and never heard back from them. I dug it out the other day and thought about trying again. Its about fish of course.

<><Mary><>

Thanks for all the posts! Haven't been down to the Waterville area for fishing, what lakes do you fish? Hubby & I did go down to Whitewater for trout opener in April.
If anyone is coming to Buffalo area be sure to give me a shout. Fishing from shore for bass & pan fish has been fun. Hope to get out on the boat for wally's this weekend.

------------------
Tight Lines

Hi there!

We live in the north-northeast metro area and fish the Chisago area chain of lakes and Forest Lake area often. Fishing hasn't been very good yet this year around here, nothing to brag about anyway. The hubby and I go out to Buffalo lake once and a while, but not yet this year. We usually catch bass and northern, last year was fun there. Keep me posted on how the bite is going there, we might have to take a trip that direction. Good luck!!

-------------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

I have fished Buffalo before a few times but in recent years I have not had much luck. I know a few years back there was great panfish to be had. I usually go to Beebe lake. Right outside the boat launch and near the islands you can catch Sunfish, Bass and Northerns. It has been a rare occasion where I have fished Beebe and not gotton some good bites. But back to Buffalo, I have not fished it enough recently to really say.

Last night as we were pulling our flooded dock out of Buffalo, I fly casted a popper and caught 6-10" sunnys. Buffalo panfishing is always good on the south shore. County Rd 12/montrose blvd that runs from Buffalo to Montrose has a boat ramp with a channel going under a bridge from buffalo to mink lake. Panfish collect here & often the big guys come in for a meal. I've seen 3' northerns caught from shore. Big wallies have been finicky this year though.

------------------
Tight Lines

Say... Has the lake returned to a decent level yet? and Are the fish biting? I was out that way about 3 weeks ago maybe alittle more and it was still flooded & way to windy. I really want to try this lake. I got so lost on my way home, in the dark, that night . What, with the detours all over. Wallywoman

Hi Wallywoman - Buffalo level is still way up, only about 2' of our lifts are exposed, so we haven't gotten our boat out for the walleye yet, still cleaning up the yard. Have seen only a hand full of boats out in the walleye area and report from Buffalo Bob's bait store is that the walleye are uncooperative. He had been out in the jon boat and canoe fishing the edges and had a great time catching bass, small pike, big crappies and sunnies. Roads around area are all open now and the ramps too. Good luck!

------------------
Tight Lines

Well, I went fishing at Shady Oak a couple weeks ago, and caught more scale-model mini-fish. A small Northern, some teeny bass (I mean in the 2-3" range), some teeny sunnies. Most fish I've caught on a trip there, but ALL of them had to be sent home to their mommas.

That was my first trip out this year. Sad. Been busy trying to fix up the house for guests this week. Maybe after that, things will settle down, and I can get a little more fishin' in.

Anyway, I am very, very, VERY excited to announce that today, I got my very first acceptance letter for my horror fiction. My short story "Vacancy" will appear in THE EDGE, Tales of Suspense, in the January 2003 issue (it's a tri-annual mag). I am still stunned, and I keep re-reading the letter to make sure I didn't imagine it.

FishGirl

FishGirl, Its nice to hear that you got out fishing I haven't got out as much this year either. I'm hoping with Fall coming things will slow down so we can get out more. I enjoy the Fall fishing the best any way.

Congradulation on being published!!!!

<><Mary><>

Sometimes you just gotta say to heck with it, last night was one of those nights considering it was like the third day we've had beautiful weather all summer. Rushed home, jumped in the boat and spent a wonderful evening on the lake. Caught a walleye, northern & crappie, all decent size, but let everyone go. Would have kept the wallie, but gee, the hubby didn't catch any to go with mine so didn't want to clean just one. Makes working today much more bearable.

------------------
Tight Lines