• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

laws on carrying a handgun

Is it lawful to carry slugs/buckshot in the field while bird hunting? I always thought it was like having lead shot with while waterfowling. But I agree with the thought that I'd rather have some heavier loads for my shotgun than a pistol, but just because I'm right handed and left eye dominant and a horrible shot with a pistol at any distance, so if the threat is that close I'd take my 12 ga with bird shot over reaching for a secondary, but that's just me.

To my knowledge there is no restriction about slugs while bird hunting except during firearms deer season, in which case you best be licensed for deer in the area and don't get caught with buck shot then because I don't believe buck shot is legal for deer.

But I have to ask. What do you suppose your chances would be to have slugs on you while carrying a pump shotgun loaded with bird shot? You'd have to empty the gun so you could load the slugs. In the mean time, assuming your in a situation, the wolf pack is knawing at your heals. Good luck.

Use the bird shot. I suspect that within just a few yards that shot load is still pretty packed together and about as effective anyway.

Quote:
"It's coming right for us!!!"

LOL - I saw that South Park

My dog and I walked right up to a pack of wolves while bird hunting a dense clearcut one late fall. The wolves didn't move as we approached them until I shot a grouse about 20 yards from them. The blast made most of them run except for one wolf that circled my dog and I.

I watched the wolf and it eventually disappeared into thick stuff. Nothing happened, but I was on guard the rest of the hunt. I've never carried my pistol with a shotgun. I guess I feel a shotgun will do more damage control at the same distance I'll need with a pistol, especially in thick cover.

There are those of us who have pointers who cannot keep their dog close - these are the dogs most often in trouble with wild animals.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of bird shot affecting a wolf at any distance, save for being inserted into an oriface - too close for comfort in my opinion.

My reasoning comes from the fact that a full grown moose can kick a wolf in the head multiple times and the animal will continue its pursuit, seemingly unscathed. Although bird shot would hurt like a SOB, it wouldnt have the power to crack through the skull or make it into the chest cavity to where it would really do any damage. If it did, it certainly wouldnt be in time to save your dog. We underestimate the strength of wild animals who deal with life and death every day.

It will take a powerful cartridge to get through the skull of a wolf or bear at a reasonable distance. It would have to be a bullet designed for penetration and be at least in the .357 mag range, preferably a .44 mag. A 9mm wont cut it...

For these reasons, I will not rely on birdshot to save my dog (read: family member) from any wild animal. I also cant say I would be able to use a pistol in a stressful situation in a way that would help me any more than a shotgun with any degree of reliability, but I can say that if I do connect it will stop the animal IN TIME, not an hour later.

BOTTOM LINE:

Are wolves more likely to stay away from me than to cause trouble? YES.

What are the chances Ill be in this situation? Slim.

Will the shotgun save my dog in time? No.

Will my pistol save my dog or me? Probably not, but maybe.

Ill take my odds with a pistol...

I don't know Outlaw, I think I could light off some blackcat firecrackers and get the same results as your .357 on 99.99% of wolf encounters.

I'm not saying don't do everything you can to protect your dog but its not like these wolves are charging down guys with guns to get at their dogs. A little noise, your scent, or even seeing you should scare them off.

I don't know Outlaw, I think I could light off some blackcat firecrackers and get the same results as your .357 on 99.99% of wolf encounters.

I'm not saying don't do everything you can to protect your dog but its not like these wolves are charging down guys with guns to get at their dogs. A little noise, your scent, or even seeing you should scare them off.

Dont get me wrong, we agree on this point. I was only speaking to the thought that some guys were going to "take a large chunk" out of a wolfs head with bird shot. It just isnt going to happen.

Honestly, I dont even carry one, but if I felt the need to carry a firearm for defense in the woods, I would put my trust in a large bore pistol before my bird shot any day.

Your presence and everything that goes with it is going to be the biggest deterrant for a wild animal. Second to that, is loud noise - like your Black Cats.

I guess I could have been more clear that I wasnt really advocating the necessity of a pistol, merely that it is a more effective tool than bird shot. Sorry for the confusion.

I figure the bird shot would be more beneficial for me for a couple reasons. I carry more than one in my shotgun and I'm more accurate with my shotgun than I am with my pistol and third, I don't necessarily have to kill the wolf to stop its assault. Once it has been seriously injured, and it will when I pump three or more shotgun blasts into it from within 20 yards, I believe it will reconsider its alternatives.

I don't know where you saw a wolf get kicked in the head multiple times and still continue its assault but just watching our dogs (collies, which are bread to chase) get kicked at by our horses tells me that the wolf is probably not actually getting hit very hard. Sort of like a good boxer that takes a punch. Yes, it hurts but the blows are more likely not connecting very well.

I may not be the greatest shot with my 40 cal but I can definatly pull the trigger 10 times pretty quick and scare the hell outta what scared me! I always take it with me in the woods payed for it so gonna have it! and on the utv I can keep it loaded too yes I do have a ccw permit here in maine and we have a horrible yote problem here so that also gives a chance for opertunistic thinning.... and as far as it attacking the dog well I (rather wife) has one of them yappy rat dogs that prob would go after a coyote and if Im around I better have at least come home with at least 1 empty mag! or else...

Another critter you don't want your dog to tangle with is a porcupine. They do damage to trees and dogs so I carry a pistol in the woods when out with the dogs in the fall. Pistol because I always carry one anyway(CCW) and I usually don't hunt birds. A shotgun would be better in this case but is harder to carry.

As a gun owner and strong 2nd Amendment supporter, I urge everyone with a handgun to take the conceal and carry course and apply for your permit to carry.

We need to show the anti-gun coalitions that the vast, vast majority of gun owners are responsible and follow the laws concerning guns.