• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

laws on carrying a handgun

I would say yes to #1. #2 may depend on weather or not you have a permit ot carry. If you do, then you should have nothing to worry about. If you dont..... well I dont know????

You are hunting, but you are also opporating a motor vehical. The rule's are different for both, unless you have that permit.

Private Land you can what ever you want.

Public land it would a no to both questions.

It is a Magazine not a clip.

A handgun with an empty chamber is about as useful as a rock in a self defense situation.

Get your Minnesota Permit to Carry a Pistol so you can carry all day everyday, concealed or open.

A good place to start is to go to the HSOforum for the Minnesotat Office of the Revisor of Statutes and search for article 614.714. As you read the statute, you'll see where it points you to other statutes and rules.

knoppers, as you can see by the responses the answers vary and are hard to decipher. My answer would be to get the MN carry permit and the Utah carry permit this will allow you to carry in MN and 32 other states. In my case I wanted to be able to carry in CO and SD while hunting. You do submit to a background check and it is associated with your driver's license.

I chose to go this route because I didn't want to end up as case law for some rookie lawyer and the carry permit laws are relatively suscint(sp?) and direct.

My class did touch on hunting while carrying. In a nutshell, you can carry while hunting except while bow hunting. My instructor went on to say he wouldn't bow hunt bear without gun.

I fully intend on carrying while grouse hunting. There have been too many cases of wolf close calls. Birdshot from an O/U just don't get it done.

The best source for handgun carry information is found in the Department of Public Safety web site. It references Minnesota statutes if applicable.

This is from the FAQ section on permit to carry.

6. When is a permit to carry not required?

A permit to carry is not required of a person: (Minnesota Statute 6624.714, Subd. 9)

To keep or carry about the person's place of business, dwelling house, premises or on land possessed by the person a pistol;

To carry a pistol from a place of purchase to the person's dwelling house or place of business, or from the person's dwelling house or place of business to or from a place where repairing is done, to have the pistol repaired;

To carry a pistol between the person's dwelling house and place of business;

To carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area;

To transport a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat if the pistol is unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, gun box, or securely tied package.

thanks for all the replys. the main reason I wanted to carry out hunting is the area I will be grouse hunting has had a lot of wolf problems, and I would feel much safer with a little more power other than my 7.5 shot. the ATV issue is becuase I would be using the wheeler to get back to areas I hunt, I guess I could store the pistol while moving to spots on the wheeler.

not sure if I want to get the carry permit, no time for the classes this year.

knoppers,

I can see your point for carrying while grouse hunting. Especially if you have a dog with. As you mentioned, the grouse loads will do little to deter a wolf unless your muzzle is in it's ear.

I've been tempted to get my wife a .22 mag for the times she takes the lab out for a walk. She's had situations where 'yotes will step onto the road, posture with the head down and tail straight out, then venture off. With crops in the fields, she has no idea where they go or how many there are.

Being able to carry the handgun with a loaded clip, none in the chamber, is a convenience issue that I could agree with, but laws don't allow it.

thanks for all the replys. the main reason I wanted to carry out hunting is the area I will be grouse hunting has had a lot of wolf problems, and I would feel much safer with a little more power other than my 7.5 shot. the ATV issue is becuase I would be using the wheeler to get back to areas I hunt, I guess I could store the pistol while moving to spots on the wheeler.

I wouldn't and don't worry much about wolves. In all my years spent in the woods logging, skiing, hunting, berry picking, etc. I've encountered plenty of timber wolves. Never have I felt threatened or in danger. They, like bears, will tend to keep their distance from humans and avoid encounters.

Two years ago while deer hunting from a ground blind made up of brush, my daughter and I had a huge timber walk up to within about 15-20 yards. It stopped when it got down wind and caught our scent. The instant it saw me move to get a better viewing angle, it casually left the area.

My brother was sitting on the ground one time while deer hunting and had a timber walk up to within just a few yards. It happened to be upwind and didn't realize it was walking straight at my brother. He did have his muzzle trained on the canine because he didn't know what it might do if it got startled. It got so close my brother figured he had better do something to warn the animal of his presence and so he moved his foot. My brother said that when the wolf realized he was that close his eyes lit up the size of saucers and he skedaddled. Scared the [PoorWordUsage] out of the wolf.

Is it possible for a situation to occur? Of course it is. It's also possible for a situation to occur between a human and a deer. Deer, especially bucks, have been known to hurt people. I've had encounters in my own back yard with woodchucks that have made wolves seem tame.

I personally think some of us have an innate fear of wolves. We've never encountered them but only heard of them through fairy tales like Little Red Riding Hood or The Three Pigs or Halloween Werewolf tales and as a result have been brainwashed into thinking wolves are the devils in fur. They're just another creature trying to survive like us. Fear of the unknown if you ask me.

I wouldn't and don't worry much about wolves. In all my years spent in the woods logging, skiing, hunting, berry picking, etc. I've encountered plenty of timber wolves. Never have I felt threatened or in danger. They, like bears, will tend to keep their distance from humans and avoid encounters.

Two years ago while deer hunting from a ground blind made up of brush, my daughter and I had a huge timber walk up to within about 15-20 yards. It stopped when it got down wind and caught our scent. The instant it saw me move to get a better viewing angle, it casually left the area.

My brother was sitting on the ground one time while deer hunting and had a timber walk up to within just a few yards. It happened to be upwind and didn't realize it was walking straight at my brother. He did have his muzzle trained on the canine because he didn't know what it might do if it got startled. It got so close my brother figured he had better do something to warn the animal of his presence and so he moved his foot. My brother said that when the wolf realized he was that close his eyes lit up the size of saucers and he skedaddled. Scared the [PoorWordUsage] out of the wolf.

Is it possible for a situation to occur? Of course it is. It's also possible for a situation to occur between a human and a deer. Deer, especially bucks, have been known to hurt people. I've had encounters in my own back yard with woodchucks that have made wolves seem tame.

I personally think some of us have an innate fear of wolves. We've never encountered them but only heard of them through fairy tales like Little Red Riding Hood or The Three Pigs or Halloween Werewolf tales and as a result have been brainwashed into thinking wolves are the devils in fur. They're just another creature trying to survive like us. Fear of the unknown if you ask me.

Bob, You are a breath of fresh air when it comes to this topic!

THANK YOU!

knoppers, a carry permit class takes less than 1 day for range and classroom. I intend on carrying for the same reason.

Originally Posted By: knoppers

Bob, I agree that the wolves will in all likelihood move away from humans. Nor do I fear them. I do have a dog that I hunt with that I am very fond of. She's a great hunter and companion/family member. I never let her roam free and she is always in my sight, especially during hunting or treks into the woods.

We had a close call 2 years ago while out grouse hunting. I had actually heard it (the wolf). Thinking I busted a deer, I called the dog back and the wolf immediately ran away. It all happened in maybe 10 seconds.

I don't advocate killing wolves nor would I hunt wolves if it were legal. I do not harvest game unless I intend to consume it. I will carry the 9mm noise maker and will use it for more, if necessary. That dog means that much to me.

Respectfull submitted,

I honestly believe that in most cases, a wolf would not likely attack a dog that is with its master. It's just too dangerous for their own health. I think the wolf would have to be extremely desperate, protecting its young (very young), or probably sick. Of course, all three of these reasons could also apply to any dog as well as a wolf. I highly doubt that a starving dog will just lay down and die without a fight, I have seen dogs protect their young even from their own masters, and we all know the threat a sick dog can present. Naturally, there are the exceptions to the rule but...

Not so sure about that BobT, its pretty well documented that wolves will attack dogs, even when humans are present. I personally know two people who have had this happen, one dog was never found and the other was pretty torn up but survived. Wolves are very territorial so most of the time they kill to establish dominance and protect their home range, other times a pet dog is a pretty easy meal for two or more wolves.

With that said I have no fear of wolves or bears no one else should either, unless of course to stumble in between a mother and her cub.

If you actually were to be in a situation where you had to defend your self from a wolf ( I doubt this will ever happen) your shotgun would be a much better option. Think about the range that you would be using the weapon at. Your going to have a hard time convincing anyone that it was needed force if you shoot a wolf at a range farther away than a few yards. At that range a shotgun would take a huge part of a wolfs head off.

I read the rest of the posts and saw the concern for protecting a dog. In this case the birdshot might not be the best option but I also dont think a pistol would be a great option either as at that range you would be at a high risk of hitting your own dog with a missed shot. A few slugs in a pocket could be a better option. A long gun will be a lot more accurate if your trying to hit a wolf that is tangled up with your dog.

Not so sure about that BobT, its pretty well documented that wolves will attack dogs, even when humans are present. I personally know two people who have had this happen, one dog was never found and the other was pretty torn up but survived. Wolves are very territorial so most of the time they kill to establish dominance and protect their home range, other times a pet dog is a pretty easy meal for two or more wolves.

With that said I have no fear of wolves or bears no one else should either, unless of course to stumble in between a mother and her cub.

I could see where this could happen. If a wolf presented a threat the dog too may go into defensive mode to protect its owner. The situation would escalate from there.

Bob,

I agree people don't need to fear wolves but things do happen. About 5 years ago I had two timbers approach my dog and I while I was grouse hunting in a very remote area of Itasca county. They stood about 30 yards away, one looking at me, the other at my dog in front of me. I yelled "get out of here". They didn't move or care that I was there and then the one looking at my dog bolted right for him. In about 3 steps he was within 15 feet of my 60 pound setter. I pulled up and shot him in the head. It mearly spun him around and both wolves ran off unharmed.

I called it in to the local and state DNR to which I was told that this scenerio is becoming more prevalant, especially in NE MN.

Even after this, I'm not afraid of wolves but when I have my dogs with I do want to make sure they are safe.

I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to have something small and convenient to carry with while out in the woods with their dogs. Bird shot may not kill a wolf easily but it will send them running. If I was not carrying a shotgun, a pistol is a convenient alternative.

ccarlson

I have yet to see a timber wolf or yote that hangs around after hearing a gunshot. They blow out of our deer drives after the first shot goes off (at a deer of course). Lost count of how many Timbers I have seen over the years. It's still a thrill to see them. If you are concerned about your dog, I would hunt it close (in sight) and get off your wheeler. If your dog encounters a wolf you want to immediately shoot a round off with the shotgun up high. There may be a stupid wolf out there, but 99%+ will leave ASAP after one gunshot. If dog is outta sight he can get chewed before you can figure out what's going on. Also can get chewed while you are trying to stop your wheeler and digging for the handgun at the same time. (Note: unless you are very experienced, trying to draw and fire your handgun while also stopping your wheeler and stressing about your dog being killed could result in an accidental discharge) As soon as you KNOW there is a wolf around, immediately shoot your shotgun which you already have in hand as you are hunting grouse. Don't let the situation progress. Everyone goes home in one piece. (Except for the 5 grouse you are taking home!) It has worked for us.

Have a great hunt,

lakevet