• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early Goose Reports

was in outing this weekend gave it a try with no luck. did get a shot though which to us is a bonus. this sneaky honker was all alone we were acually gonna call it for the morning, gramps was standing up in the boat and we were talkin all of a sudden here one honk and there was this goose wings set committed 40 yards out so i took two shots and byebye goose he was gone faster than he came. was great though really this is a good time for scouting ducks in our eyes cause there just aint many geese in the area to go after. to make it even better was gramps birthday on sunday and he was happy to be hunting which he has never done on his birthday before especially with his two grandsons he turned 78.

Saturday was excellent. Our group set a new record for the most birds shot on any day during early goose season with 18 birds for 6 guys.

Sunday was pretty good as well. 13 more fell for our spread of Bigfoots and calling.

Monday was a big 0.

Hunted different grain fields every day. Lots of pressure. Can't wait for next weekend as many people will turn their shot guns in for archery equipment.

31 and counting!

snowgoose I had a few buddys take this weekend off and didnt realize that bow opener wasnt open till the 19th man they are POed mad and now they have to work on opener. told them it pays to read the regs once in a while. and never assume anything from the DNR. allt hey did was growl at me grin

[PoorWordUsage] good. opening morning we only shot 1 between 4 of us but we should have had more but a dog blew it. then shot 4 last sunday and 3 on monday. we just arnt seeing the number of birds like we usually do and when we do see some MOST of them dont even want to look. thats not normal for us. is anyone else seeing the same thing?

this morning I was lucky enough to be out and the two of us had 6 birds come in and none got to leave and I also got a bonus boating up the river saw a boat gas tank with the hose on it sit there bobbing up and down so stoped and picked it up and it was over half full of gas will be using the gas on my next outing

Slow weekend for our group. Big 0 for the weekend. The fog was so bad in our area that you couldn't see squat until around 9 AM both days. We heard geese but never pulled the trigger.

For those of you wondering why you are not seeing as many geese as usual. It is because the molt migration is just starting. We need a good day of North wind or breeze and there will be new birds everywhere. We did see a few new flocks later in the morning on Sunday. If we ever have a day with a North wind keep your eye on the sky. They will be coming back.

One of my hunting partners keeps great reecords on bird movement. The migration is actually a little late already. We just have not had that North wind that we need!

Congrats on the band Dan Z.

The molt migration does happen in May and June when the local none breeding and unbread bird head North to molt. They can not fly for 6 to 8 weeks so the thought is the birds fly to a area that they will not be hassled. Some birds have been measured to fly over 800 miles just to molt. After the molt is over they return to their home area. In late Augest to Mid September.