• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HSO Bear Photo's

First off, this is my first bear, so most of what I know I learned from you guys and other bear hunters I know. So thanks for all the advise..I got him on the northeast side of the Ponsford prairie. I had 3 different bears coming in almost every night(the big one showed up once the first week of baiting and then disappeared for over a week). Opening night I passed on a small bear hoping the big guy would show up, he didn’t. My trail cam showed me he was around but hitting an hour after I left my stand, and that he had chased the other three bears away. So on the third night I short baited(left very little food) him and soaked the area in liquid smoke(a new sent for this bait station). I was hoping this new aroma would be too much for to pass up and it was. at 8:10 I saw his head in some tall swamp grass off to my right about 35 yards away. I was not sure he was the big one yet but I had a pretty good idea that it was him since he was the only bear on my camera the night before. As happens when sitting in the same position for 3 hours my legs where stiff and not cooperating, so when he walked behind some bushes on the way to the bait I made a pain full move to get into a good shooting position, I made it into position by the time he cleared the bushes. My bait is under a pretty heavy canopy of trees, so anticipating a bear coming in under low light conditions I had added a sprinkling of flour around the beaten down area around the bait, I figured this would allow me to hunt safely till the end of legal shooting. When he started eating the bait I had a perfect outline of his head, shoulders and front legs, it was easy to put my crosshairs on the lung area and shoot. the bear turned, took two steps and fell over, and as many have described made the "death roar". I called a few friends to help me load it into the back of my ranger, good thing there where some tagalongs because it took 6 of us to get it in. Boy did I have a blast.

Congrats on the first bear, and great story too! That would definitely be a great one for our homepage!

Good luck the rest of the season!

haha,ya we bonded on our way out of the brush.it was an experience i won't soon forget.my bro in law was with me and kept offering to switch out on the drag but i figured i shot it so i will get it out, i told him you just keep me going in the right direction.we made it but it was a tough one.

HaHa, and I thought dragging deer was tough, I gotta get into bear hunting!

After baiting hard this season, and waiting and passing for the past couple of weeks I was rewarded. I've had 10 different bears on camera, one giant, and two cinnamon bear. I had decided to wait until I had the big boar or one of the colored bears in the bait. Friday night I had this smaller, but beautiful cinnamon come in to the cinnamon rolls, and after a clean shot, I had my trophy.

img4622x.jpg

My Daughter's bear:

summer09162.jpg

summer09168.jpg

This is a lesson in patience. She took this bear on public land on September 23. There were two other parties hunting the same land who took three bears prior to us. We were disappointed to find other hunters at first. Maybe all the extra baits drew in extra bear?!? The other hunters have been out of the area about 10 days. She hunted a full three minutes the night she took this bear. There still is bear working the bait. Hopefully her sisters will find the time to hunt it!