• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Problem with Motor - Looking for Advice.

titelines

Hi all,

I've got a 1992 Suzuki 115, 2-stroke. I winterized it last year and it hasn't run since. I've checked everything 3-times over and still nothing.

It has plenty of power, just won't fire up. I dropped new plugs in and nothing. I then checked to see if I was getting spark, and that seems to be the problem...no spark!

I have looked and the motor is spotless, with no signs at all of mice problems. It is stored inside etc. and literally nothing has been done to it since I put it away last year. With the help of the owners/repair manual, I've done as much as I can do myself.

What could've happened between then and now?

The nearest place that'll work on a Suzuki is two hours away, so I'm hoping to save the trip; but I'm afraid I need to bring it in and have a diagnostic done to find out where the problem is.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

Where are you located? There might be others on the boards that could help you locate a Suzuki service place (they don't have to be Suzuki dealers btw)

Have you followed the wire from the coil packs back to the connection and the ground wire to make sure they're both good? You'd find them on the RH side of the motor.

marine_man

Thanks for the replies everyone! Sorry for the late response from me here. Here's some answers to your questions:

1) I'm around Two Harbors. The only guy that I could find that would work on a Suzuki is now out of business (hint: He was way up 53, up by Pike Lake). I've spoken to all the other dealers in the area and none of them will work on a Suzuki. I took it down to the Knife River Marina, but they won't work on an outboard.

I've also spoken to several locals who do small engine/motor and outboard repair. After explaining the situation, they all agree that I probably need a diagnostic test to find the problem, but none of them had the equipment. I even had a couple of these folks look at it with me, and we can find nothing wrong (without taking things apart).

2) Yes, I have followed all the wires and done a full inspection. There is nothing visually wrong and all connections are good.

3) Yep, kill switch is good - not the problem.

If someone knows somebody in the area that could do what I need done, please let me know - I'd love to give them the business. It's getting kinda late now, so I may just hold-off until Spring, unless someone can get me running in time for the Fall bite!

Thanks again everyone!

Give Frankie's Marine a call. They may be able to give you a few suggestions. Worse case scenario make the drive to Frankie's...I'll bet your looking at a fairly quick and painless fix.

They have sold and repaired Suzuki's for many years.

JDP

[note from admin: please read forum policy before posting again. thanks!]

Unplug the main harness at the motor. Take all the plugs out, then carefully using a plier or a heavy gauge wire to jump the starter, crank motor and see if there's spark at the plugs.

If yes, you know it's between the remote and the harness (probably a kill switch wire), otherwise it's something with the motor itself.

Hi All,

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to thank you all for the help you provided me, and to give you a brief update.

I ended up dropping my boat off with Gene, and just picked it up on Friday.

After explaining everything to him, he looked things over and found that the primer was out, which would explain a lot of things. He replaced that and said it starts right up now. No more draining the starter battery during a day of fishing.

I also asked him to replace the trolling motor connection to the batteries. He did that, but also noticed that, although I have a 24v system, only 12v was getting to the trolling motor. So he fixed that. He also took the other wires and set them up so if I wanted to add a winch or something in the future, it would be all set for me.

He did a full inspection of the boat in general, just to see if there was anything else I was overlooking, but didn't find anything else.

He also gave the trailer a good looking over and gave it a clean bill of health.

When I picked it up, he walked around the boat with me, allowed me to ask a couple dumb questions and make sure I was satisfied with what he had done.

In all, I'm so glad you guys turned me on to him. I asked what I owed him and it was about 1/2 of what it would've been in the cities, I was very pleasantly surprised. I'll definitely go back to Gene if anything else comes up, or to have him wire up new electronics etc.

I'm not a spokesperson for him, just believe that good work should be recognized smile

Thanks again!!

Glad things worked out for you!!!! Nothing wrong with giving a great service provider a plug! They deserve it. When I am at my mothers in Sturgeon Lake, and every have a problem with my zuk, I know where I am going!