• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Delivery issues for gear purchased from Dell.com? UPDATE

I ordered a new toy (Canon 70-200 F4 IS) on the 27th from Dell's HSOforum as they had it listed for about $100 less than BH Photo/Adorama.

It is now the 1st of Sept. and my order hasnt shipped yet. The order inquiry page still says "In Production" which I know can't be true because the explanation of that term on Dell's site says it means Dell is building the equipment to my specs. Sounds OK if I had ordered a PC with custom gear, but a 3rd party product?

This morning, the estimated delivery date changed to 9/9/2009. Will that date keep changing because Dell cant get a copy of the lens delivered to them? Anyone else had a similar experience?

Although I'm excited, I can wait if I have to - I just want to know if this is a game that could keep going.

I could cancel the order today and have the lens at my house by Friday through BH...

Had my Dell account for 5 years now. Computers ship fast but

when they sell stuff like cameras and TVs and other computer

components. Bought a video card from them for my XPS 700 after

the old one died and it was here in 2 days. Then I ordered Blu

Ray player from them and it took 4 weeks.

Wonder if they are having supply issues and did not have any in stock for that price.

I'm on my 5th Dell computer. The first four went without a hitch. The last one was a nightmare. Was promised for May 12th (had a big gig I needed it for the last weekend in May) and didn't receive it until June 20th. Big disappointment and I let them know it. When it finally came, they threw in a couple of small perks for inconvenience, but that didn't help for the weekend I really needed it. Turned out there was a component that didn't mesh with the rest of the hardware inside. They didn't explain that was a problem when I called (was a simple fix as to inserting a different model component), instead delayed, delayed, delayed and finally canceled my order. Would have gone somewhere else, but had also ordered some other compatible hardware that they delivered pronto. Just wasn't up to sending back and starting from scratch. Finally got a machine that works well, but am tired with dealing with them.

Your lens could very well be on back order from Canon because I have noticed a lot more sellers are out of certain lens for weeks at a time. I have been keeping a eye out for the 400 5.6 and it has been on back order at B&H for months until this week and now the price has gone up frown

Dell was courteous enough to update my delivery date to 9/23, at which point I promptly called to cancel my order.

The nice man on the other line, whom I could barely understand, apologized for the inconvenience and said that Dell was sorry to lose my order, but it was canceled.

Not 5 minutes after I was off the phone with him, the order was updated to "Shipped" and it's on the way via UPS - tracking number confirmed.

I dont know whether to be happy that I'm getting the lens, or upset because they STILL didnt do as I asked them...

I wonder how they managed to find a lens so quickly if it was delayed for 3 weeks?

Either way, I believe my days as a Dell customer are over...

Torn, thanks for the update.

Jim, check POTN for the 400 f5.6. They come up about once a week and usually go for under $1,000 in great condition. That's where I bought mine, and there's at least one up for sale right now, or it hadn't gone as of yesterday. That lens doesn't last long on that for-sale board.

What is it about photography? Over the last week I've seen people threaten to sell deer rifles, boats and motors to buy a new camera body or lens. What'll be next? First born son? I think someone should look into this malady!

Ken I would have to believe it has something to do with the pure enjoyment one gets from being outdoors with your camera in hand and later going home to relive those moments and any time you look at those pictures you still get that feeling. With the boat you only get that feeling while you are in it and the rifle when it completes the mission but with both there is still some work when you get home and some maintenance. I sometimes think that a 500 F4 would give more satisfaction then the boat winkgrin Plus I don't have any kids to sell grin

Yeah, my kids are gone, too! grin Jim, I agree with you, and there's probably 100 more reasons to go along as well. I'm caught in the same malady, and sometimes I think I understand why, and at other times I just sit back and say, "Wow!"