• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tree Stand Modifications

B-man715

A couple guys wanted to see what I did to my Lone Wolf climber, so I thought we should start a thread on treestand mods.

Anything that makes the hunt longer and more comfortable should be shared smile

This first mod is a great way to pack your stand into the woods. I got the idea from the "Lone Wolf Pack," which retails for $120. Instead I bought Molle straps and belt in ACU camo. This is the stuff our guys overseas trust there lives to. It is very high quality and the price is even better. I picked up this combo set on an online auction. $23 to my front step.

It will work with virtually any treestand, and is light years ahead of the straps provided when you buy a stand.

I also have an ammo pouch attached to the belt. This holds my saftey harness to and from the tree.

I leave everything on the stand while I climb, so nothing is left on the ground during the hunt.

P1100807.jpg

This next mod is a foot rest on my Lone Wolf.

The sit and climb comes with a bar for you to sit on while climbing. I myself prefer to climb with my arms, which is about twice as fast. I found this bar to always be in the way while I climbed and was uncomfortable to sit on while on stand. I took it off a few years ago, and this year I found a new purpose for it. Drill two holes, toss in some bolts, and you have yourself a nice folding footrest. I have it covered with black tape to further minimize any possible noise.

P1100813.jpg

This last mod I have done to every climber that I have ever owned or used.

After standing up out of a "sling" type seat, it always wants to slide back towards the tree. Then when you sit back down, you always have to pull it away from the tree to be comfortable. This idea has worked for me on a Summit, API and Lone Wolf. Simply put the first strap of the seat in front of the "V" made by the stand. This keeps the seat in the same spot all of the time, whether you stand up or sit down. It really helps cut down on figeting.

P1100814.jpg

If anybody has anymore ideas please share them!!!!!!

I just purchased the same straps and belt after seeing your setup. I got mine for $30, but far cheaper than the LW pack. I may look into getting more of those Molle accessories though. They see quite versatile.

The only little mod I've done is I remove the little pouch from my steps that holds the straps and use it for holding calls, a book or a snack. I use the snaps and attach it to the bottom of my seat either in the middle or on the side depending on the situation.

skolfoppa,

When you put the foam in, did you drill holes in the frame to get the foam in or just squirt it into the end of the tubes?

I just shot the foam into the ends and it definately helped but I'm sure the faom didn't go all the way throughout the base of the stand.

Other things I did to my summit climber:

Added camo duct tape wherever the stand has metal on metal contact.

Added Camo foam tape similar to the summit skin.

Added a bowhoder on the right side of the climbing section (I'm a lefty)

Added a reciever bracket for my quiver on the left side of the climbing section.

Next thing I am going to do is add a bag to the stand so I don't need a fanny pack.

92-It went in the tube ends. The foam expansion is aggressive and it ate up a lot of tube space. I did rotate the frame and let gravity work some too. Its probably not solid foam throughout, but much better than out of the box. skol.

I will implement some of the mods tried here. I have a different delema. I have a climber that is not well known and they have a bungie type strap you have to pull over your boots to climb. It has since broke and has been useless. I tried to get summit rapid climb stirrups, but my climber tubing is too large and the plastic looks flimsy. Does anyone have ideas that they have tried so I do not have to bend over to synch up a strap or pull a bungie over my boot?

Thanks

Did you have to purchase the backpack straps and belt seperately or did they come together in one unit? i can't seem to find what you have.

I bought mine as a package deal from a guy on the "bay." Go there and do a search for Molle straps or belt. The ACU camo stuff looks nice, you could add that into your search.

You may have to buy seperate if a package can't be found. Try to buy from the same seller and ask if they will combine shipping to save a few bucks.

Powerstroke, B-Man, or anyone out there who is better able to track down these straps/belt than me,

If you can find straps/belt like in the pics by B-man, I'd greatly appreciate you sending me the link at my e-mail:

scootsfishing at yahoo

I can find the straps alone, but I'd love to get the exact same set up as B-Man with both the straps and belt.

Thanks,

I use an Ol Man climber. I have pretty much done all of the modifications that have been listed above. I purchased some bags from "Wally World" made by Field Line for about $8 each and hung them on the bars of the upper section of the stand using the belt loop straps that come on them. The only thing i ended up doing here was to eliminate the use of the velcro and i actually sewed mine on. The bags are great for holding calls, saws and pruner along with any snacks you may want to bring on the hunt. I also bought a fieldline water bottle holder and hung it from the top section of my stand in the same fashion. Next i put on a bow holder which also mounts to the upper section of the stand. Works great. I have used the camo duck tape for any metal on metal spots as well. For back pack straps i stole some straps of an old cat quiver bow hunters pack that i had. another thing i have done that i have found to be awesome was, i picked up one of those retracting bow/gun hoist's. It came with 30 feet of strap. I just hang it from the top section of my stand. It saves the hassle of having to wind up your string/cord every time you get down. It retracts by itself on the way down and when you are all packed up and ready to leave there is nothing to wind up. Very convenient. I love the idea of attaching your quiver to the stand as well. Unfortunatley i have not been able to do this. I have run out of room. I did do this on my wifes Gorilla climber and it works great. I get many of funny comments about my "Lazy Boy in the Sky" treestand. But bottom line is: When i hunt all day, i am comfortable. It is hard to stay in stand all day if you are not comfortable.