• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone dove hunting on Tuesday?

I found a spot last week that looks promising. A WMA near a picked pea field that is full of weeds; has a small ditch with water bordering it, and is also bordered by a gravel road with telephone poles. It's a nice assemblage of dove habitat. I've been seeing a few out that way every day. Just need to get the timing down.

I will not be out. I have not had a good scouting trip that worked out for me yet. One guy stoped cutting what he used to cut. Another stop to chat with a farmer cutting a wheat field resulted in a nice tractor ride, but a resounding NO.

The spot I have the most confidence in, a waterin hole with nice gravel and roosting areas, that I was seeing 2-300 different birds a night using, is private property. I just couldn't bring myself to ask to hunt there because his kids dont work, dont go to school and dont want to do anything that requires work. So I did not want to ask to hunt there untill the season opened because I figured that way I could at least get one good shoot in before his kids figured out what was going on. What I did not count on was (someone I will not name because he may read this) mentioning to him I wanted to hunt it and everything I explained to him I learned about the spot. How the birds approached it, used it, time of day, everything. Last week, his kids started shooting trap in the exact place the birds use to approach the water. Same flight path, same set down location, same time of day. They did this three days in a row, I have only seen 15-20 birds an evening since. What I thought would happen did, now the spot is shot.

So I will have to check on some public land areas later in the week. Until then, I will take the time to focus on school.

I plan on hunting the evening of opener and then taking the day off wednesday to take my two girls (ages 9 and 6) out with me and the dog. Its the only chance i will have before they go back to school.

I have nothing in mind yet so I'm using tuesday for some scouting too.

I just moved back to MN from Texas where I used to do some Dove hunting and I'd like to do some here this season. I'm living just west of Minneapolis right now and don't have any land anywhere so I was going to try and use some of the public land. I see there's some places down south by the Iowa border and some places out West. Does anyone have some suggestions on which lands I should try out West preferably?

There is an abundance of public land in MN. Use the maps on the DNR's HSOforum or buy a public land atlas at one of the sporting goods stores.

I'm taking my daughters out the first couple times but I might be looking for someone else to help keep my dog busy.

Powerstroke,

I've been looking at the DNR site and the Map of the WMA's. I'm in Chanhassen so it looks like the ones down south by the Iowa border and pretty close to the same distance as the area's out West by the Dakota border. Since that is so I was just wondering if someone knew if one area was better than the others. Also, when you search Yellow Medicine county on the WMA map it gives you about 30 area's with Doves. Any suggestion on which one I should check out. Just trying to find out if anyone has any experience that they wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks.

I'm going this afternoon out west of Clearwater. A friend of mine has a spot along a wheat field where he said that there is a lot of them hanging around. Ive never realy had good dove hunting so I'm pumped to get the shotgun out again. As far as blackbirds I think if its a crow it is legal to hunt them right now??? I know a few weeks ago my cousin had his crow call out snd went hunting them in a gravel pit up north. I don't have my reg book here but I'll check the dnr web site.

Anyone have suggestions on whether I should head out to some of the public lands around Lyon county (ex. Amiret WMA, Bosque WMA, Brakke WMA, Coon Creek WMA, etc...There seem to be a bunch right around here).

Or if I should head down south to somewhere like (Carex WMA, Panicum Prairie, Boyd Sartell WMA, Whitewater WMA, Mc Carthy Lake WMA, Naylor WMA, Aurora WMA, Somerset WMA)

Powerstroke,

All of those places are under 3 hours. The ones out west near Lyon county are probably 2-2.5 hours from Chanhassen and some of the ones down south are only an hour. The farthest south is maybe 2 hours from Chanhassen.

I don't see any public lands that are closer that I'd be able to go on and I don't know anyone with any private land that I can ask.

Dave TN,

All those WMA's I listed in my last post are public lands you can go try. The ones I listed that are South are a little closer than the ones out West (At least from Chanhassen).