• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ranger 618T vs Warrior 1890T

DRH1175

Looking to upgrade to a fiberglass tiller. I have my eye on these two boats with a 90 tiller on them. Anyone been in these boats. Which one handles better and trolls better. Obviously they both are great boats. Thanks

I have a ranger 618T with a suzuki 90hp 4-stroke. 90hp is max for this boat. I would buy the same rig again if I had to buy a new one. The ride is awesome. The suzuki will backtroll to a standstill with any kind of chop. I always thought I would only run a yamaha until I got this suzuki, now I'm a changed man. It's a heavy boat and not a speed demon, mid 30's is all your going to do with a 4 stoke. I've talked to a few guys that run etechs and are running close to 40 with the right prop. Some guys have trouble with holeshot if they try to get speed with them. It's easy to load on a bunk trailer by yourself if it's set-up right. My only complaint is that I had a leaking compartment that was fixed under warranty due to a missing seal on the inside of a lock. I do have some steering torque when I'm trimmed down. If your going to fish big water, a titan or merten system would be really nice. I wish it had a center rod locker like a lund pro-V 1800. But storage and fishability are great. When I looked at warriors they didn't seem to have the finish of the rangers. They have a lot more floor space but lacked the dry storage the ranger does. Some of the older warriors I've seen have had some gelcoat and stress cracking issues so that steered me away from them.

I have a friend from my home town that got a new 1890 last year, and was able to get out and fish with him, this boat is awesome boat to fish out of! They are the best fiberglass tiller on the market, and the space you get with this boat is awesome! he had a 140 suz on it, and performed slick. I have heard horrible things about the 618T with the 90 and 115 on them!

You must have heard wrong since the max hp for the ranger is 90hp. It also is 18'4" and a 91.5" beam. The warrior is 18'3" with a 90 inch beam and rated for up to a 140hp outboard. The ranger is almost 200lbs lighter than the warrior (boat alone not including a larger outboard). The Warrior would be a serious dog with a 90hp outboard. It's personal perference, but I would have to get a kicker or use an electric TM before I spent a lot of time backtrolling a 130HP outboard. I think the warrior deserves a look, but it comes down to personal preference and fishing styles. Look at number of the older ranger 681T's still going strong and look great. If you find a 15 year old warrior that is actually used, the finish and everthing else will be falling apart. In the same price range (or even less money) I'll take ranger quality and spend a little more time getting the right set-up, over a few extra ponies on the back on a lesser quality rig.

I concur with everything mamohr686 has mentioned.

My 618T is fairly sporty, I think, for having the 90 Yamaha and gets on plane well for me. It's not a bass boat and it's not for pulling tubers, so the performance I've experienced with this boat is more than satisfactory. Getting the right prop is key!! It came with a four-blade that was one size pitch too much and it struggled out of the hole and would never reach optimum RPM's. A switch to a 3-blade and a drop in pitch and it gets up and goes just fine. Could it use a bigger engine, sure, but what doesn't! smile Knowing the size of lakes I fish I didn't have any second guesses about the fact that the 618T has a rating of 90 HP max. If you're not going to be spending a lot of time running when you're out fishing I wouldn't let the 90HP max sway your decision that much.

You'll find some gripes about holeshot with the 90 if you do some checking around, but I bet that a majority of the owners wouldn't have a problem getting another 618T if they had to do it over again.

I went with the Yamaha because of the Variable Trolling Speed feature they have as on option on the tiller handle. It is super nice to be able to adjust your speed up or down and gives you the flexibility of dialing in the speed you want for trolling or backtrolling in whatever conditions exist at that particular time. A lot of guys are happy with their Suzuki's too if that's a brand you'd prefer. They have a different gear ratio that helps with the holeshot. I've read that some guys are putting a Cobra plate on their engines to help with the holeshot and planing.

Loading on a bunk trailer is mostly hassle free since it basically "sucks" you right on center every time unless you really miss your approach. No more having the boat cocked to the left or right with a bunk.

The Ranger hull is one of the best on the market. It tracks very nice and will keep you dry, even in a tiller! As always, a lot of it comes down to driver's skill. Even with the best hull a poor driver will get you wet.

Having been in both brands you've mentioned I decided to go with the Ranger. The Warrior felt too big and bulky for my tastes, but others may like that feel in their boat. I also didn't care for some of the interior design and layout. If you decide to go with the Warrior I would go with the bigger engine for sure, but that's going to cost more money.

I have had no problems with my boat in the three seasons that I've owned it (knock on wood). The functionality of the boat, engine, and trailer have been perfect thus far. Would I make changes to the 618T if I could? Sure. And I believe they did in this year's model when they moved some of the storage around as well as the battery compartment which was moved towards the front of the boat where it should have been on day #1 of it's design. That's a lot of weight in the rear of the boat and is just another factor to overcome to get on plane.

As always it's up to the buyer and their preferences. What's good for one guy isn't always good for another and all you can do is look over each one and decide which is best for YOUR fishing and boating style.

Good luck in your decision! Buying a new boat is always fun. The hard part is owning one. j/k!

Disclaimer: I own a Warrior 2090 back troller with a 150 yamaha. I think allot will have to do with what do you want the boat to do? I personally fish walleyes on big water 95% of the time and really like my boat. Wide open floor design, tons of storage, high transom, great in adverse weather conditions etc. etc. I also think Rangers are VERY nice boats just a different boat. If I spent allot of time Bass fishing it would be my boat of choice I just think for Walleyes it is a little to shallow and cramped for my preference. and that is all it is a preference. As limitout has stated with any boat proping my be the single most important decision you make. I want my boat to "jump' out of the water and ride high so I now run a 5 blade prop. Yes I loose top end speed but I gain whole shot, handling, and pulling power under load.

Whichever one of these boats you choose you will be happy IMO.

I have a Yar Craft!!! myself

but one thing that has always left a bad taste in my mouth about warrior and didnt even consider it when i was lookin

Some one said something bout a leaking seal on the ranger

and it was covered under warrenty and fixed

From what I understand about warrior that wouldnt happen

unless they have changed in recent yrs

they dont stand behind nothing

And I know guys that owned them it wasnt hear say

as mamohr said. i have a old 681t. 13 years old been beat to tar, but it still looks great and fishes great. another thing to look at would be resale value. i believe the ranger will hold its value better. that said. i have experience only with my boat which isnt the 618 and ive never been in a warrior.

Funny now 10 years later I will add to this discussion.  I have a 2010 Warrior 1890.  It looks awesome still with no hazing or cracking.  Livewells, hinges, seats and bases, decking, carpet, all looks great.  I started with a 115 and had a warranty replacement and went to the 140 Suzuki.   It is the best boat I have been in next to the 2090.  I like Lund pro Guides and Alumacraft Navigators when the water is flat.  I like the Ranger 620 tiller minus the layout and the same for the 618T but...The 618 in big rough water with that 90 will wear you out and have you fighting all day.  My 1890 tracks like train.  The storage is ample, but also logically laid out to distribute weight.  Pro Tiller steering makes driving in the roughest water a breeze, but also on those 15 mile runs lessens fatigue, but the real difference is just the power to go up and down in really big rough water at any trim at any speed you need.  The Warrior hull also handles that huge water great.  The only thing I hate about the warrior hull is without trim tabs it likes to lean so its another dent in the pocket book for trim tabs - that is the only knock I have.  And now in 2020, Warrior is adding market share and once again Ranger has dropped the tiller.  Too bad, with a center rod locker and better storage the 620 tiller would be a perfect rig.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:14 PM, quint243 said:

Funny now 10 years later I will add to this discussion.  I have a 2010 Warrior 1890.  It looks awesome still with no hazing or cracking.  Livewells, hinges, seats and bases, decking, carpet, all looks great.  I started with a 115 and had a warranty replacement and went to the 140 Suzuki.   It is the best boat I have been in next to the 2090.  I like Lund pro Guides and Alumacraft Navigators when the water is flat.  I like the Ranger 620 tiller minus the layout and the same for the 618T but...The 618 in big rough water with that 90 will wear you out and have you fighting all day.  My 1890 tracks like train.  The storage is ample, but also logically laid out to distribute weight.  Pro Tiller steering makes driving in the roughest water a breeze, but also on those 15 mile runs lessens fatigue, but the real difference is just the power to go up and down in really big rough water at any trim at any speed you need.  The Warrior hull also handles that huge water great.  The only thing I hate about the warrior hull is without trim tabs it likes to lean so its another dent in the pocket book for trim tabs - that is the only knock I have.  And now in 2020, Warrior is adding market share and once again Ranger has dropped the tiller.  Too bad, with a center rod locker and better storage the 620 tiller would be a perfect rig.

Want to sell your 1890?  I'm looking for that exact boat.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:14 PM, quint243 said:

So, how many boats do  you have?   

On 10/10/2020 at 7:12 PM, delcecchi said:

So, how many boats do  you have?   

I currently have 4 boats I guess if you count duck boats and winter river fishing boats.  I have had several.  Lund pro v, Ranger 690, Alumacraft TP and navigator. and Tuffy.  I have fished out of and driven the 618 and 620 tillers and 2090 warrior and 2075 pro guide as well.  In rough water and for tracking there is no comparison to the Warriors.  If I could spend every day in 2 footers or less I do really like the Pro guide, but it will make you pee blood when it's really rough and gets tough to maneuver when the wind howls, in my opinion.  Same with the Alumacraft and with the Alumacraft you have to put all the screws back in the interior hardware after every rough outing.  Just one persons observations.  I would feel under powered with anything less than a 115 on the 1890, so the next boat will probably be a 2090.  My 1890 will do anything the 2090 will EXCEPT go 55 MPH.  Did you ever find an 1890 JLS?  I thought for sure you would call back this spring.  It's still here.