• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WOMEN AND FISHING

Go to any lake on a nice day look around how many women do you see? You see women fishing with their husbands or boyfriends, girls fishing with their dads. Take a good look at their faces and you'll see that they are enjoying every minute of it and most likely out fishing their male partners.

Most women don't give fishing much thought because its just something they do when their partners or families want to do it. They don't think of it as their sport. They think of it mostly as a mans sport, but an okay thing to do when they are with them. I know I use to be one of these ladys. I would be the first one to suggest it, but wouldn't dream of going and doing it by my self.

As I have gotten older my LOVE for FISHING has grown. I started learning more about it. I began doing a lot more on my own. I started baiting my own hooks and taking off my own fish. I learned how to operate and drive our boat. Theres not much I can't do on my own now when it comes to fishing. When the fishing magazines come I'm the first one to read them. I pick out my own fishing gear from advise I've gotten or adds I've read or things that just look good to me.

Now don't take me wrong my favorite fishing partner in the whole world is my husband (Guy). I love the time we spend together fishing. We have been married for 26 years now so I'm a firm beleiver that the couple that fish together stays together. I've just taken control of the sport that I love. I also have more free time then he does and know longer do I have to wait until he can go with me.

I just can't help thinking that there are a lot of women out there that would enjoy fishing more if they thought they also could take control over their sport. I'm writting this to tell you that you can and its easy.

How about the women out there that fished with their husbands for many years and lost them to death. They never fish again because they didn't think they could by them selfs. Yes you can. I met a lady a couple years ago that lost her husband, but still had the love and desire to go fishing and so she does. She even has the guts to still go to the same resort and stay and go fishing by her self. I admire that lady.

There is a lot of good information out there that can help. Like this web site for instance. There must be thousands of videos and millions of books on fishing. So if you want to take more controll over your fishing or just learn more about it the resouces are out there.

delmuts, Thats good and I like being helped when hubby is along, buts thats not what this is about. I just want other women to know they can do it if they want to all by them selfs. And yes my hubby is a lucky man, but I'm even luckier to have him. If your up our way this summer stop in and say hi.
<>< Mary ><>

Maryjl that was so well written I think you should submit it to In-Fisherman and if you are a member of the North American fishing club, you should send it to them as well. My guess is you get published. BP

Thank you gise that was very nice of you. I hoped by writting it it would let other women know that they can do it by them selfes if they have to or want to. I was also hoping it would get some interest from other women to post here on this forum. We seem to be far and few inbetween.
How about your wifes guys do they like to fish? Maybe they would be interested in this forum. Have them post something.

<>< Mary ><>

Poor delmuts who knows maybe you'll meet a single fisherwoman on here some day. If we ever get more women to post on here that is.
Maybe you could put an add in the Fishing items wanted or for sale. Your post could go like this.

WANTED FISHING WOMAN PARTNER grin.gif

Hey Mary!

I loved your post about women taking on the sport of fishing on their own! I must say...I have done just that...I may not have a big boat, but I do own a 14ft Lund boat & motor and love to be on the lakes in the summer. I'm not married and I usually have to beg one of my friends to go with me and the looks we get from men is quite funny. They always want to know if we need help...I usually fish and my friend will read. I grew up in a home where we fished every weekend. Now...I just have to find that perfect man who likes to fish...my luck has been comical....I keep finding men who are either allergic to fish or just don't like to fish.....Someday....but in the meantime...I will continue to fish with the girls!! smile.gif

Hi Ms Jenny,
Sorry I did'nt get back to you sooner I was up at my camper and sorry to say I don't have a computer up there.

WOW you have your own boat and moter thats great. I go out in our boat a lot by myself and thats nice some times.

What is your favorite fish to fish for? Hows your luck been so far this year? Hope you reply back soon its good to hear from other lady anglers.

<><Mary><>

Hi Mary!

I found my way back here!! Woohoo!! Thanks for your reply!!!

Guess what?? I haven't been out fishing yet!!! But the boat is ready to go...I spent a day last week and cleaned "ED" up and put on new tabs for the trailor etc!! When I go fishing...I like to go to the Chisago Lakes area....I mainly fish for pan fish or whatever else gets attached to my line!!! I love to fish, but it has to be a bit warmer to get me out on the lake....It's no fun freezing on the lake!! I envy your cabin and I wouldn't have a computer there either!!! Where's your cabin at?? That's a dream of mine...Someday......oh someday smile.gif
How's your luck with fishing this year and where do you fish??
Jenny

Hello Jenny,

I'm glad you found your way back. This has been a great forum for me I've learned a lot here. Don't be afraid to check around and ask questions. The people on here are great and give really good advise.

I love it you named your boat Ed. grin.gif LOL thats great. I hope you and Ed have a great time catching fish together this summer.

I have know idea where the Chisago Lake area is. Whats the closes big city? Our camper is just outside of Waterville on Lake Tetonka. My husband and I spend every weekend and then some up there. I go by my self a lot because I have a lot more free time then he has and I love to fish.

I live in Iowa just 2 miles from the Minnesota boarder. So I'm only a week end Minnesotan. It only takes me a little over an hour to get to our camper from here.

If I was going to pick one fish to be my favorite to fish for I think it would have to be Bluegill. I do most of all my fishing with ultra lights and the Bluegill for as little as it is it puts up a great fight. Last Fall I caught a 5lb Northren on a ultra light with 2lb test line. This spring I caught a big Small Mouth on the same set up. Last week I caught a 19 inch Walleye but that was with a medium action pole.

I hope the weather gets warmer by this weekend and next week. We are going to be at our camper from May 25th till June 3rd. I heard on the news tonight that it was snowing in northren Minnesota what a Bummer.

Reply back and let me know how your fishing is going. Like I said don't be afraid to check around on here and ask ???s its a great place.

<><Mary><>

Now that summer is in here I thought I'd give my story a little bump and see if it catchs the eye of any lady anglers out there that might want to come share some fishing stories with us.

<><Mary><>

well i am not a woman, but it is true we had snow into may here in NW MN.
i grew up fishing the des moines river for channels and flats. grew up in Boone, IA. now i reside in NW MN. not to bad. funny how this is the land of 10,000 lakes and well to get to any of them i have to drive. the closest one i fish is 40 minutes away. how is this possible?
most of my fishing years have been spent cattin, but last year i started going for panfish and other types of game fish. this year i got an ultralite. man that is fun. so far the big one on the ultralite is a pike.
http://www.soundillusions.net/sites/musthavemuzk/5192001maplelake_0002.jpg is that pic.
some of the crappie have been decent size as well.
it is wierd to see women fishing, but i think it is great. it is wierd cuz you do not see it often. my step mom fishes. she wants to go almost as much as my dad.
anyways sorry for the invasion of the woman's forum
Monty

Monty,

Nice fish. I also have caught big fish on my ultra lights for me its the only way to fish.

Does your Step Mom have a computer? Maybe you could tell her about this forum she may enjoy it.

If it wasn't for the guys on this forum there would be know one repling so feel free to reply any time you would like. We all have that one thing in common here we would rather be out fishing.

Thanks for sharing your picture with us.

<><Mary><>

well sorry to say that my stepmom does not have a puter. they do not care to have one in the house. their house their call.

definitely second the would rather be fishing.

Monty

------------------
Say what you mean and Mean what you say.
You've got to think like a fish no matter how wierd it gets...Storm Fishing Lures Ad

sure was an interesting day. saw some things i do not see verry often. went to grand forks to check out the red river to see how muddy the banks were and low and behold what did I see on the water? http://www.soundillusions.net/sites/musthavemuzk/pics/_0001.jpg
yes a boat with 2 ppl in it. this was not a real suprise as where this boat is located has been pretty productive for cats in the past. then when they both stood up then i was shocked. the 2 ppl on that boat were both women. i was awestruck. i wanted to get out of my car and cheer for them, but i figured they would really give me some strange looks.
ok so i got over that finally.
then it gets to be late so i head out to maple lake to do some panfishing before i call it a day. and what did my eyes see but a woman by herself fishing. and catching fish.
i am by no means saying that this should not be happening. just noting that it does happen. heck i am all for it.
sure would be great if i could find a woman that was into fishing as well.
enough rambling Monty
Monty

------------------
Say what you mean and Mean what you say.
You've got to think like a fish no matter how wierd it gets...Storm Fishing Lures Ad

I think its weird when people say there isn't many women out there fishing because I see women out there all the time granted you don't usally see them with out a male partner. I hoping more women are starting to relize that this is something they can do alone or with other female friends. I think there are a lot of us out there that like to fish, but don't think they can do it without their male partners.

If the woman you meet some day don't fish you can always teach her how.

<><Mary><>