• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size deep cycle marine battery?

Shoot2Kill

I've never run a 24V system before and am about ready to buy the batteries for it so I can hook up my new bow mount this weekend. I've been looking around at the 12 V marine batteries which come in different sizes (was news to me), 24, 27, and 29. The guy at batteries plus recommended the 27 to run a trolling motor from....what do you guys say? Not much difference in price between them...it's the length of them that concerns me for where I'm going to put them. Thx!

What boat do you have? How long do you usually fish in an outing?

I.e. if you have high horsepower main motor and bigger boat, go wtih 27's if they fit, and they should. I think these are standard, and what we use in our 18' boat with 150hp. If smaller boat and hp, then maybe two 24's would work, lighter, but give you less running time. I can tell you this, 2 27's and using the trolling motor (with autopilot) in heavy wind pulling an 18' boat with 3-4 guys and trolling constantly will last a pretty good day on the water. Under more ideal conditions you can get two days out of a charge.

So 2 24's will not get you as much, but most likely enough for a full day fishing. Good luck. If you don't have an on board charger yet, get one - the best $$ spent ever smile

What boat do you have? How long do you usually fish in an outing?

I.e. if you have high horsepower main motor and bigger boat, go wtih 27's if they fit, and they should. I think these are standard, and what we use in our 18' boat with 150hp. If smaller boat and hp, then maybe two 24's would work, lighter, but give you less running time. I can tell you this, 2 27's and using the trolling motor (with autopilot) in heavy wind pulling an 18' boat with 3-4 guys and trolling constantly will last a pretty good day on the water. Under more ideal conditions you can get two days out of a charge.

So 2 24's will not get you as much, but most likely enough for a full day fishing. Good luck. If you don't have an on board charger yet, get one - the best $$ spent ever smile

16' Lund, 25 hp Evinrude, will most likely only fish 2 guys most of the time, and outings for the rest of the year probably won't be longer than 6 hours or so....but next summer that will be different...I'll go with the 27s if they fit...if they don't fit...then I guess I have some more mods to do. haha

FWIW, with that boat, I would use a 12 volt system. I have a 16' with 50hp and we use a 12 volt on that boat. Or at least go with the 24's as you don't have as much boat to pull around. That extra weight will be very noticable with a 25 hp.

However, if you don't run that much with outboard, the 27's would probably give you threes days, but its better to always charge batts as soon as you can after using them.

Good luck.

FWIW, with that boat, I would use a 12 volt system. I have a 16' with 50hp and we use a 12 volt on that boat. Or at least go with the 24's as you don't have as much boat to pull around. That extra weight will be very noticable with a 25 hp.

However, if you don't run that much with outboard, the 27's would probably give you threes days, but its better to always charge batts as soon as you can after using them.

Good luck.

The bow mount I was given is a 24V...yes, the 27s I looked at were very heavy, that's why I was going to move them to the back of the boat, but have concerns about them fitting there. The only time I will ever fish longer than 12 hours in a day in this boat (and that will be really pushing it) is chasing muskies and I will never have 3 people in the boat while doing that. I know the 24s will fit in the back, they are 2 inches shorter than the 27s.

So...will the 24s give me a full day with 2 guys in a 16' Lund for 12 hours of trolling? So far most of my muskie buddies are smaller guys...no gigantic dudes yet. grin

You should easily get 12 hours of trolling your boat with 24's, as you won't need HIGH to get that up to speed smile

And don't worry, your boat will be carrying gigantic dudes before you know it, ha! Happened to me and my bro wink darn twinkies and beer, ha!

You should easily get 12 hours of trolling your boat with 24's, as you won't need HIGH to get that up to speed smile

And don't worry, your boat will be carrying gigantic dudes before you know it, ha! Happened to me and my bro wink darn twinkies and beer, ha!

Thank you very much for the info....the bow mount I was given is an 80 thrust, (overkill for my boat, but free so I can't say no!) it came off an 18 foot crestliner and it really moved that boat so mine will be no problem...so it probably won't run on high very often - something I didn't think about.

Twinkies and beer....what a sweet combo. haha!

Thx again!

80lb thrust on that boat will absolutely scoot! Hard to say no when it's free, nice pickup. As for battery size I'd probably stick to the 24's with that size of boat to save on overall weight. I think i've said it already but that boat is stylin'! Nice work on the interior.