• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Discouraged Flathead fishing

wall_eye_assasin

This is my first year fishing for flatheads and I can tell you I am getting a little discouraged. I am a shore fisherman but I read of all the fisherman getting nice flatheads from shore. I have been out almost weekly for hours and hours and have only two flatheads. The thing that makes me keep fishing for these monsters is that 43.75 I caught and I love catfishing in general but these flatheads are getting me discouraged. I have the tackle, bait, but just no luck so far. I have a buddy of mine that caught two 24 pounders and a 12 pounder the last two times out and I put in 40 hours the last 3 weeks and notta, zilch. I am fishing the wood, in the current and same places as other fisherman but to no avail. OK I am done crying I just feel the old flathead catfish is one heck of a fish to catch. I am going out in a boat next week and maybe my luck will change.........Dang flatheads

But Kirk got to remember that even though guys (and gals) on here post up big Flatheads, they also go through long periods of no fish/small fish that usually aren't talked about as much as the big fish stories.

Email me where you have been fishing and I'll see if I can help you out at all. Keep at it.

Quote:
The thing that makes me keep fishing for these monsters is that 43.75 I caught

wall_eye_assasin is that inches or weight?

That is a pretty good year if only two flats and you just started. wink Some go ___ years and do not break the 30lb mark whistlewink

I feel ya though, either take a break or keep on fishing. The one thing that keeps a cat guy going is to take a break some times! Or risk the chance of going nuts and joining the walleye tour grin or just giving up on it all together and using their 70003ci and Gamakatsu 10/0 circle money for pulltabs at the bar.

If you are getting discourage, either take it up a notch or give it up for a month and try for fall times flats. wink

I always encourage anyone interested in learning how to catch catfish to join the Belle Plaine Catfish League. They post on the Minnesota River thread. During the summer you will go out with six different captains, and they are all willing to share their knowledge. You will be fishing from Mankato to Burnsville.

Our last outing for this year is next Friday, and I am really looking forward to it. Keep the BPCL in mind for next year.

This is my first year fishing for flatheads and I can tell you I am getting a little discouraged.

Maybe you need to change your handle - any name with Walleye in it has to be a jinx.

If you are going to chase flatheads you have to expect dry spells. It is like musky fishing in a way - you are going to spend hours and hours with no fish and then BINGO you catch one.

In August I was out 15 times and I was skunked 11 times. Last night I was out fishing the KOTC Shootout and look what found itself on the deck of my boat -

8-28-0942X2737lb2.jpg

You have to keep fishing to catch a big one. Go gettum Boys.

If you’ve never been discouraged, then you’ve never really Flathead fished seriously. wink

I think the mystique of these fish is why we keep banging our head against the wall. At times it’s as easy as Sunfish in a farm pond and at others like pulling an infected tooth on a PitBull.

One thing that is limiting you is that you are shore bound. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, plenty of great fisherman do so only from shore, but moving around from spot to spot in a boat, not only educates you on different options, it also passes some down time. Not only that, but if you are fortunate enough to know guys with the right kind of boat, you get to say, “woo hoo!” every now and then. laugh

What I’m saying Kirk is that we’ve all been there, and I would suggest forgetting about trying to figure them out and instead appreciate the beauty and solitude of your time on the river for what it is and realize that the fish are just an added bonus.

One other thing I think that is that it’s pretty important not to get hung up on one spot or tactic. It is super easy to get in a rut and just hang out there waiting for a fish to come by. “Fishing Memories” if you will. I know a particular spot that I caught and watched others catch probably close to 100 or more flats out of last year. Guess how many this year? Big fat Zero.

Try different baits, different rigs, and especially different spots. Eventually something will pay off, and you will go…hmmm and place that experience in the memory bank.

Awesome info guys. I too have been fishing the MN hard this year(twice a week) for the last couple months with one 27lbs fish to brag about. Not even a couple smaller ones, just one! But I sure do love the beautiful scene every night spent on the water, it's worth every attempt. I am also stuck with shore fishing and limited spots. I'm currently working on finding some not so highly traveled spots in the Mankato area and it's tough. Not been on the river in a boat many times has me a bit limited on river knowledge. If anyone is fishing the Mankato area and wants a tag a long give me a shout. I'm pretty open to fishing any night up until midnight or so.

[email protected]

Fishing for Flatheads is different then every other species. I tell everyone I bring out that we are fishing for the top 1% of predatory game fish. Therefore your odds of connecting on every trip is just not going to happen. The only way you can increase your odds is to spend more time on the water and learn everything you can about your target.

Sometimes you catch them sometimes you don't.

With more time and experience you'll start to figure out that you can never figure them out. Best you can do is make the most informed/educated guess possible and spend lots of time on the river.

Thanks guys for taking your time to respond to my little episode of discouragement. Great information and thanks for the words of encouragement. I have fished my whole life and it is the time on the river and getting out and enjoying the sport of fishing that is also very important. I will keep my chin up and put the time in and I know with time on the river the fish will come also. Thanks again........Kirk

And yes it was a 43.75 incher and was over 30 lbs and not bad for my first year, and that big fish keeps me heading back to the river week after week....

Awesome info guys. I too have been fishing the MN hard this year(twice a week) for the last couple months with one 27lbs fish to brag about. Not even a couple smaller ones, just one! But I sure do love the beautiful scene every night spent on the water, it's worth every attempt. I am also stuck with shore fishing and limited spots. I'm currently working on finding some not so highly traveled spots in the Mankato area and it's tough. Not been on the river in a boat many times has me a bit limited on river knowledge. If anyone is fishing the Mankato area and wants a tag a long give me a shout. I'm pretty open to fishing any night up until midnight or so.

[email protected]

I spent MANY hours trying to do just that and I pretty much just ended up stuck at the usual spots. With that said, there are some potential areas to find around there that people haven't really discovered yet.

This is my first year fishing for flatheads and I can tell you I am getting a little discouraged. I am a shore fisherman but I read of all the fisherman getting nice flatheads from shore. I have been out almost weekly for hours and hours and have only two flatheads. The thing that makes me keep fishing for these monsters is that 43.75 I caught and I love catfishing in general but these flatheads are getting me discouraged. I have the tackle, bait, but just no luck so far. I have a buddy of mine that caught two 24 pounders and a 12 pounder the last two times out and I put in 40 hours the last 3 weeks and notta, zilch. I am fishing the wood, in the current and same places as other fisherman but to no avail. OK I am done crying I just feel the old flathead catfish is one heck of a fish to catch. I am going out in a boat next week and maybe my luck will change.........Dang flatheads

Hey congrats on catching the 43.75...I think that would qualify for an In Fisherman master angler award. I hear you on the frustration, this is my first season of trying to catch flats on the MN, and I've caught a few but no big ones. My wife thinks I've lost my mind as my success rate has been so low. But its been worth it.

Well it happens. I'm in the middle of a decent slump myself although others in my boat have been catching them so I guess I'm the net man. wink Just the way it goes and there is a learning curve for sure and certainly some luck involved.

Kirk-

I'm never ashamed to admit defeat. If you search back 4 years or so into the archives, you may be surprised to find who was struggling to catch fish.

And... if I were to pick one month to take time off from flatheading, it would probably be August. I wouldn't beat your head into a wall trying to figure out a consistant pattern right now.

I'll also admit that due to many circumstances in my life right now, I'm just plain not fishing, so I'd consider any chance to get out is bonus!

I know having your bait in the right place at the right time is key, However, I do not think a little blood action can't hurt either. I snip off the spines and also make a incision in the side behind the dorsal fin and the bullie bleeds pretty good and stays alive or quiet some time.

Well we tried a new spot and to no avail but one has to change things up and try new spots. The beer was cold and what a great night to be on the river. Had a great time anyways and looking forward to fishing out of a boat on the river for my first time. FLATHEADS be aware of me I am coming after you FRIDAY>>>>>>>>