• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance vs. Hummingbird Units

So what do people recommend? Hurting badly for one for the front of the boat so I can give up the handheld. Have seen people switching between these two brands, with bad luck with both...

Also, is there anyone in the TC's you'd recommend for the installation (and at what $$)?

I use and like Lowrance units and have been happy with mine. Humminbird makes good units too.

IMO the differences between the 2 brands is narrowing -- Lowrance is coming out with side-imaging Structure Scan for their new HD units -- and Humminbird will be LakeMaster compatable in the near future.

I don't know if that helps narrow it down any, but the bottom line is I think Lowrance and HB are both good products.

We sell both brands at Pro Fishing Supply and we do installations. You can find us at the link below if you want pricing or more info.

Tough call. I'd recommend getting your hands on both and deciding on one based on usability and features. I've only owned Lowrance and have had a few issues with shallow water (522i) but the update seemed to have cleared that up. HB's side-imaging is crazy cool technology and I can't wait for Lowrance to release there Structure Scan technology. It's a good time to be a consumer. Good luck.

I just went through this on my boat. I ended up going with the Humminbird, even though I've had Lowrance on all my boats in the past, and my ice fishing unit.

I've had issues with Lowrance units in the past but nothing major. The main reason I went with Humminbird is a friend of mine who is in the buisness and deals both said the customer service on Lowrance is not good. Apparently you can wait months for a warranty fix.

As far as the chips they take, I've seen the Navionics and Lakemaster side by side and I like the Lakemaster better.

There's my 2 cents....

The main reason I went with Humminbird is a friend of mine who is in the buisness and deals both said the customer service on Lowrance is not good. Apparently you can wait months for a warranty fix.

I don't have a lot of warranty experience with Lowrance but I have never known it to take more than 2 weeks to get a unit back from them. IMO Lowrance is really good at standing behind their units and their warranty.

HB is excellent too, I'm not trying to imply that one is better than the other in that regard.

As far as the chips they take, I've seen the Navionics and Lakemaster side by side and I like the Lakemaster better.

I agree. I just installed a HB 788 with navionics chip on the bow of my boat. I have a Lowrance on the dash with lakemaster chip. I don't know if one is more accurate than the other, but the Lakemaster, for me anyway, is easier to read. Especially from a little bit of a distance.l

I was just over at Thornes talking to Josh about this exact thing a couple hours ago. After going over everything I think that if you were to give me new electronics for my boat today I'd lean to the HB. I've run Lowerance forever and it seems like each new unit they make is worse then the last one. All my friends who had warrantee work have had bad experiences as well.

The new HD's have a totally different menu then the old ones so if you want to make the change now is a good time to do it.

For me Lakemaster is King on the lakes that I fish the most so Lowrance is the only way to go. They do have thier share of problems though, I am reminded of that everytime I buy a new transducer ($75) or have to update the unit (hassle). I think the best way to go is a HB depthfinder and put a Lowrance GPS next to it. I am still sticking with my LMS 334's because I know that they work and I don't think that I should have to go through the hassles of a new units. The first batch couldn't even take a Navionics chip.. That tells me something is wrong..

Humminbird is releasing a software update this Oct so they can run the Lakemaster chips. So that is a mute issue these days. I can tell you I put Humminbird units on my boat this spring and they have been issue free. Zero problems, period.

Quote:
Humminbird is releasing a software update this Oct so they can run the Lakemaster chips. So that is a mute issue these days

I was wondering when that would happen.. It's about time! Then to me it's a no brainer. When I buy my next set up it will be Humminbird all the way!

Based on my personal experience and that of several other's i know, I will not ever consider purchasing lowrance again nor would I recommend them to anyone.

I dropped a lot of money on a large screen unit recently. Within 6 weeks it constantly lost and acquired GPS signal, randomly powered off and flashed over shallow weeds.

4 weeks after initially contacting their customer service department via email twice I had still not gotten a response. The better part of 3 hours had been spent on hold without ever talking to a person. At this point I returned the unit (cabela's rocks btw) and will never think about them again.

Humminbirds from here on out. I have a friend who has had them for years and swears by them. He had a problem with a unit and it took them 4 days to recieve, repair and return the unit too him. That speaks for itself, let alone how good it looks compared to the joke of a company that is their competition. (i use that word loosely)

Lowrance and Hummingbird are not your only choice Garmin makes a great fish finder and GPS.

They were the first to have 3D and high definition but are only limited to certain bodies of water for that other wise its standard viewing but with great crisp clear images. They were also first with satellite imagery again only on limited waters. Been out for a couple of years.

Limited waters are that of the big waters like Leach, Milacs and Vermilion and so on. Something like 26 lakes I believe.

They also have a cool feature called fish eye view 3d witch shows you on the screen an actual layout of the bottom and where you are positioned to the bottom, like a picture of the bottom, again that is also limited to certain waters.

And they utilize a dual frequency trasducer.

Aside from not being able to use the features on most lakes in Mn

I just love my Garmin, no problems what so ever.

I purchased mine through ProFishingSupply. Give Dave a call and he can help you out with witch ever brand you decide to go with.

Thought I throw this out there as I too was in a bit worried about the quality of the other brands when I made my choice.