• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you suffer from ice fishing disorder?

JSK76

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whe you find yourself sitting in front of your computer at 6:30AM wearing your new Ushanka hat looking for any and all info on anything related to ice fishing wishing you smelled like 2 stoke and could hear the hiss of your buddy heater.

This is my first year ice fishing. I have been buying all my gear over the last 2 weeks with frequent visits to Thorne/Fleet Farm/Cabelas/Gander. My wife is sick of it. I have the disorder. I'm concerned about the upcoming stages of this disorder - I haven't even dropped a line yet.

I am a longtime sufferer of IFD.

"When you post a new thread, and you wait to get a response. THen you start clicking refresh every 2 minutes!" I know you've ALL done it! smile

I am definitely a longtime suffer of IFD too...

"Refresh"

"Refresh"

"Refresh"

Ah heck... Im going fishing..... LOL

I think all non ice fishing spouses should have to read this thread. The wife thinks I'm nuts wishing for cold weather. When we retire in about 12 years she wants to move south so I need to get in all I can. Just bought a bunch of jigs and respooled all my reels this past week and am chomping at the bit to get my new otter. Also have a shappell cabin and pro scout, a FL20 and 35 bird and cheap camera. Oh and just got a AA jacket and hope to get the bibs for Xmas.

PS I was guilty yesterdy of sitting in my deer stand thinking about hole drilling so when I got home I had to fire up the auger. Just add ice and i'm there!

Yea I have IFD considering I currently own 12 rod, 6 tip ups, 3.5 fish houses (the .5 is the base of my new northlander from canvas craft). future items I will get include a new Marcum LX3TC once Fleet Farm calls me and tells me they are in.(I have a rain check for the $249.99 Price, Can't beat that), A soft pack for my lowrance X510C so I can make that into a winter flasher set up, A arctic armor suit, and the final big item would be a wheel house in the next year or 2.

Something about that first snap of cold fall air that makes the IFD kick in. I was in the market for a new vehicle last week and when the guy asked me what I was looking for, the first out of my mouth was "something to haul all my ice fishing gear". After I told him what had, he...well, I came home with a new F150.

I had it this summer too, I bought another house house at a garage sale in July. I had it set up in my garage for a week.

Originally Posted By: shizzy
wishing you smelled like 2 stoke

AND I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! I love gas/small engine oil mixture smell. It should be a new fragrance called "2 Stroke"

2 stroke smell reminds me of two things, drillin holes or pulling the cord on my outboard. So yea, always meakes me feel good.

Hi I'm boar. And I have IFD. It started when I was a child an my fathers influence on me by takeing me on the ice an having me wait in the truck while he spent hours of countless hours drowing his bobbers in an ice hole. every so often I'd roll down the window an ask if we can go yet," ten more minuets" or "one more fish" is what he'd always say. And I roll up the window. As I grew up I found myself going down the same path as my father, I tried to stop, I tried to put down the rod, but IFD is so strong, so powerfull. I ened up getting married 13 years, my wife knew I would icefish, but she could'nt see what it would eventually lead too, we both did'nt. She put up with alot, Late nights, coming home with minnows scales on my pants an smelling of the very fish I told her I was'nt catching. I again told her I'll stop. I started to hide gear, thats when it got really bad an I started to think maybe I do have a problem, I"d go out in the shop an admire my new flasher, No honey it's Jamies, he let me borrow it.She would find jigs in teh shopping cart at the check out,"Com on honey 10 bucks worth of jigs" to late to put them back, She'd just gave me the look. Man the lies just rolled of my tounge, the chip is only 25 dollars honey. Then it started to affect my children I cant believe they already have IFD at this young age. At first I thought they would'nt be affected, then one day nick asked Dad i cant wait till we go icefishing this winter. I finnally looked at myself in the mirror, "What I done to deserve this" How could have this happened? Then it hit me, I had a dad that took me icefishing. God bless him. I'ts great that there is a wonderfull support group willing to help at all hours of the day an night. No problem to large or to small IFD Support group is there. Thanks guys I would'nt make through summer with out ya. Cant wait for my next fix. I am currently remoldeling one of my two ice campers, why? cause it get's me into the ice camper. Later boar

Hi I'm boar. And I have IFD. It started when I was a child an my fathers influence on me by takeing me on the ice an having me wait in the truck while he spent hours of countless hours drowing his bobbers in an ice hole. every so often I'd roll down the window an ask if we can go yet," ten more minuets" or "one more fish" is what he'd always say. And I roll up the window. As I grew up I found myself going down the same path as my father, I tried to stop, I tried to put down the rod, but IFD is so strong, so powerfull. I ened up getting married 13 years, my wife knew I would icefish, but she could'nt see what it would eventually lead too, we both did'nt. She put up with alot, Late nights, coming home with minnows scales on my pants an smelling of the very fish I told her I was'nt catching. I again told her I'll stop. I started to hide gear, thats when it got really bad an I started to think maybe I do have a problem, I"d go out in the shop an admire my new flasher, No honey it's Jamies, he let me borrow it.She would find jigs in teh shopping cart at the check out,"Com on honey 10 bucks worth of jigs" to late to put them back, She'd just gave me the look. Man the lies just rolled of my tounge, the chip is only 25 dollars honey. Then it started to affect my children I cant believe they already have IFD at this young age. At first I thought they would'nt be affected, then one day nick asked Dad i cant wait till we go icefishing this winter. I finnally looked at myself in the mirror, "What I done to deserve this" How could have this happened? Then it hit me, I had a dad that took me icefishing. God bless him. I'ts great that there is a wonderfull support group willing to help at all hours of the day an night. No problem to large or to small IFD Support group is there. Thanks guys I would'nt make through summer with out ya. Cant wait for my next fix. I am currently remoldeling one of my two ice campers, why? cause it get's me into the ice camper. Later boar

Welcome to IFD Anonomys!! It is now time for our therapy session!! Boy am I glad that I joined this group!!

The first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem. The program consists of 3 steps.

#1. Admit you have a problem.

#2. Get your fishing gear and invite a friend.

#3. Go Fishing!!!! and of course have fun....

Does that sound like a great therapy session?

I have to admit that there was a time when I was very close to quiting, It happened more than fifteen years ago, A very cold day on LOW in January an me with old blue, an old blue mora hand auger, a dozen holes thru three an half feet of ice with a mora hand auger. I swore that I'd end the madness that day. But one day shortly after that I found myself confronted with a test. A test of biblical proportions, A great deal on a jiffy white head three horse. I could help it, 250.00 for a brand new out of the box whitehead. I started to itch like I never itched before, my head beagan to spin, an a little thread of drool seaped from the corner of my mouth. I DONT NEED IT, I DONT NEED IT. I kept telling myself over an over an over, till I broke. I NEED IT, I DO I DO I DO. That was my moment of weakness that I have never recoverd from. Ahhhh.. I feel better now. I needed to get that off of my chest. Thanks for listening guys, I feel like I can cry again without guilt. Later boar

The day you free yourself of hand drilling is the day you know you've got a problem. I can't wait to get the strikemaster on the ice!! I just received my magnum today. I started the break in process tonight and got through a half a tank and I just know I'll burn the rest tomorrow. The new Solo engine started on the 3 pull and through only a half tank is starting to sound pretty good. Chomping at the bit for ice. Nothing induces IFD like a new major purchase. The disease spreads steadily and rapidly. After several phone calls, my health insurance company refused to cover the expenses, claiming it as a pre-existing condition. Maybe Obama's public plan can help ease the burden.

I didn't think I had a problem until I did some inventory.

6.5'X16' drop down pull behind with all the accessories

3 portables- 1 flip down, 1 suitcase and 1 mounted on the 4 wheeler

1 hand auger, 1 electric auger, 1 gas auger.

2 GPS

2 Flashers & 1 hand held through ice finder

12 tip ups, 12 jigging poles, 5 rattle reels.

All that just to get started. And I spent most of the evening on HSO-Classifieds looking for "cheap" stuff.

And I live in southern Mn. where we don't get "good' ice every year, so I guess I am the ultimate optimist. Or I put on a lot of miles come ice time!

Great post! Funny how many friends a guy can get once the ice comes!

Yes I have IFD also.

To add to the list of my disorder is watching the water freeze on all the lake cams on the internet. I keep watch on them on my computer at work all day long.

BTW, I put together the list and put it in Word and posted it at work. Man the guys get a kick out of IFS.

I have found the ultimate therapy for my "problem". I removed a seat from my 1970 starcraft to accomidate my fish trap scout. since i have no bimany i can enjoy the comforts i get while ice fishing and flip the top up on these cold rainy fall days! no joke either super mint boat mod! have not gone as far as to bring a heater but would be cool to say i did once!

when you are prepared to sleep on the couch for a few days once you tell your Wife you are buying an auger, and you are ok with it......

OR....

you are happy your wife just bought a new pair of shoes and some clothes because now you can mention said Ice auger..... grin

I have been doing very well all summer on my issue. eek I have been keeping myself occupied with other things to take my mind off it! eek Got the boat out, put the boat away, rode the Enduro and 4 wheeler a bit and now put them away, got the Bow out and wenting Bowing hunting a bit, painted the Duck boat and went Ducking a bit, got the gun out and sited in for next weekend. So yes, I have been doing very, very well indeed with working out my issue and not thinking about it all summer. wink Then as I was cleaning out the garage so my wife could park in it for the winter. I noticed a New Voyager flip up with a nice new travel cover on it propped up in the corner. Where did that come from? Then I ran into a New Strikemaster 10" auger sitting up againest the wall? Where did that come from? Then I found a box with a new XOG GPS on a shelf? Where did that come from? Then I noticed a nice new clean white 11lbs propane tank in the way I had to move? Where did that come from? Then I found a New Big Buddy heater in a box? where did that come from? Then as I stepped on a rake and I hit me in the head, I slowly looked around the garage and realized. Sadly frown it did not go away and I have been compulsively buying and hiding ice fishing things in a state of denial throughout my whole summer! crazy But this is it, one more winter and that is the end! I am moving to Tibet to become a Monk! crazy