• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help I Have Spring Fever

Dear Lisa' I found this forum a couple weeks ago but I could'nt get it to take my registation for some unknown reason. Finally got back here to try again and it took this time.Sense we got the internet a couple months ago I've been trying to find other Woman that Love to fish. I looked threw some of the topics and being new to this site haven't found alot that I relate to yet. I haven't ever gone ice fishing. I guess you would call me a fair weather fishing woman. I'm from northren Iowa but spend most of my summer in MN. near Waterville at a seasonal camper. You will find me out on Lake Titonka any given day in my 17 ft.Spectrum fishing for walley,crappie,bluegill,perch,white bass an northren. Sometimes my husband joins me. I love to fish just about more then anything. Would really like to hear from or about other woman that share the same passion for fishing that I have. Last year at this time we were up at Morris Town catching crappie right now I'm looking out my window at a blizard. Can't wait til spring. Have any good cures for Spring Fishing Fever?
Mary

WELCOME to the forum, Mary!

I cure spring fever by keeping very busy and looking ahead to open water angling. I already have visions of getting out in my boat. (But, there is a LOT of ice that needs to melt first!)

I have a question for you, being an Iowa fisherwoman, do you fish for bullheads? I have an uncle from Ladora who loves to catch bullheads. He says Minnesota bullheads are small. What's your opinion on this?
Do you ice fish in your neck of the woods?

Also, do you have any kids that you take fishing with you? If so, I would love to hear about your experiences with them.

I know what it's like to be the only woman in the bunch. It can be intimidating at times, but when I'm the only boat on the reef reeling in the fish, it's worth it.

I look forward to chatting with you and learning more fishing wisdom with a female perspective.

Please keep us all posted, and...Welcome to Fishing Minnesota!

Dear Lisa,
So nice to read your reply. I have alot to tell you about my fishing experiences,but first of all I hate Bullheads. I know there is a purpose for everything but I sure don't know what their purpose is. I'd rather catch a dog fish then a bullhead at least they put up a fight. I know there is alot of people that really like bullheads to eat and to fish for but I'm not one of them. I can't tell you if there is any difference between Iowa and Minnesota bullheads but my guess is that your being teased just a little.
I have three grown daughters, ten and 3/4s grandchildren. All three of my daughters know how to fish and as soon as the grandkids are old enough to hold a pole we have them out fishing. Its such a thrill to see them catch their first fish.
My favorite fishing partner is my husband Guy. We spend alot of time fishing together. Like they say the couple that fish together stays together. We've been married 26 years now. He did'nt fish much as a child so I'm the one that brought fishing into our family. I do spend alot of time by myself out in the boat also I'm just a little more dedicated then he is and I have more free time then he does. I could'nt imagine depending on someone else to beable to go fishing. I think there are alot of woman out there that don't relize they don't need their husbands with to go fishing.
I mostly use ultra lights mainly because most of my fishing is done for crappie or bluegill. Last fall I ended my fishing year by catching a 5lb northren on an ultra light with 4lb test line. It was alot of fun and my husband was very jealous. I'm glad he was with me to see it.
I do very little fishing in Iowa. Most of it is done on Lake Tetonka in Waterville MN. We have a seasonal camper at Best Point Resort a couple miles west of Waterville.
A couple times a year we go out to some of the other area lakes. My husband likes to fish for Muskie so we try to hit Frech Lake but so far no luck. There are alot of different lakes in that area to fish at.
I have seriuosly thought about becoming a fishing guide in that area. Last year I checked out what it would cost for insurances and such and decided it would be far to expensive. I'd rather do it for fun then to make it into a job. But that would be a dream job talk about loving your work.
Where are you from Lisa? What is your favorite fish to fish for? Do you ever get around the Waterville area? If so let me know I'll take you out fishing. Thanks alot for the reply hope to hear from you again. Mary

WOW, I am so proud to hear of women that just LOVE to fish. My wife is such a great supporter of me, but I have a hard time getting her to go with me. I know alot of it is the way I fish (cast, cast, cast.) We have been out a few times panfish fishing, and she does enjoy that. I do realize that I am gung-ho. We are planning a week long trip to our in-laws resort in Park Rapids in June hope I can give her more quality time for fishing. Any suggestions? I have thought about the 'guiding thing' too, same answer as you found out. More interested in tournament fishing. I don't live too far from Waterville fish the faribo lakes all the time, love to give advice if you would like some.

WOW! You're my kind of gal!

I feel the same way you do about bullheads. The fact of the matter is, unfortunately I am usually the only one in the bunch who hooks up with the tough little guys. They are a bummer to unhook! I asked you the question because my uncle swears they are THE fish to catch in Iowa. (???) I think he must be pulling my leg....

I live on the south shore of Mille Lacs lake. I'm primarily a walleye fisherwoman, but enjoy fishing for perch, crappie, northern pike and LOVE the thrill of pulling in a big muskie! I fish year-round with my 3 sons. It is great that you have a husband to share these experiences with. I'll bet he is very proud!

I think if you want to try guiding, you should do it! That is a dream that most women don't take on. Sounds to me like you know the sport well enough to give it a shot. The cost can be frightening, but please don't let it deter you from at least trying. ( I'll bet some of the forum guide pros would be happy to answer any questions you may have. )

Do you fish for muskie through the ice? Tell me how you do it.

Too bad I'm not closer to the Waterville area so we could wet a line over a cup of cocoa.

(I think we will learn a lot from this lady!)

Rippinlip'
Thanks for your reply. I'm so glad that I found this forum it's really helping my spring fever to beable to visit with other anglers. You live close to Waterville how lucky you are I hope some day we will beable to move around that area. You have so many lakes to chose from.
Last year on Feb 29th we went fishing at Morris Town just off shore there and caught crappie, bluegill, walleye and northren. That won't be happening this year.
My husband and I don't always like the same kind of fishing either. He likes to troll and he likes to cast alot also but we compromise and spend time doing what we both like. When you go out fishing you don't have to fish the same way the whole time and if you find the right area you could still cast while your wife is pan fishing. Does your wife have her own fishing poles and tackle? Does she know how to drive your boat? Does she ever fish on her own from shore when your out casting? Maybe its just not in her blood yet but the more she gets out there and catches fish the more she will like it.
Have you ever fished Cannon Lake? We haven't fished that one yet. Whats your favorite lake in that area? Where is the best crappie lake to fish in that area? Do you ever fish Tetonka? Any advise you have on good fishing spots in that area I'd be glad to hear about it. Thanks Much Mary

Hello Lisa.

Sorry to say I've never been ice fishing, but if the winters are going to last this long I'm maybe going to have to give it a try. We have thought about it from time to time. We have heard of resorts that rent ice houses out for the weekend. Thats what we need to do first before we invest alot of money in ice fishing equipment. There are resorts in your area that do this I think. Tell me about this. What they offer, what we would have to bring ourselfs, costs, how far in advance do you have to reserve and such.
Maybe we'll have to give it a try next winter.

My favorite fish is walleye to fish for, but they are so small in Titonka. You can catch alot but to get any over 14 inches is very seldom. I keep trying though. I like to fish for crappie and bluegill also. I just love the fight a bluegill gives you on an altra light you would swear you have a big fish on the end of your line. The big white bass are fun to catch also.

Its going to be alot of fun exchanging fish stories with you. I can't wait to get back out on the water and have other people to share my stores with.

Thanks So Much For Your Replies Mary

Hello,
I must have been out for awhile you gals are having fun without me.
Winter dulldrums, it is afull, I want to float my boat vacation. I am really looking forward to liquid water, yes as I too am looking out at all the snow.
Time to plan on the open water and start working on the best plugs or whatever. I always seem to throw the one I want away.
Lisag, just got done talking to you on the phone and thought I better check this out. Park Rapids lakes are really flooding and alot of slush, glad there arn't to many fisherman out now. you gals out there should plan on coming to Park Rapids the first week of June for the Woman Anglers State Fishing Tournament, we have a great time. Email me for more information.
Chat later
SharonM
[email protected]
< smile.gif))><

Hi Maryjl
Glad to hear from you.As far as some of the questions you have, I have not fished Tonka alot so my knowledge on it would not hold much water (sorry about the PUN). On the other end of the river, Cannon Lake I like to fish alot it holds probably the best population of walleyes in the faribo area not neccessarily the best quality. Since it is part of the Cannon river system it has quite a variety of fish also, as far as fishing it, it has so many possible methods. Springtime you cannot go wrong by throwing jig-n-minnow combinations on the rip-rap, by the bridges (all 3)Warsaw, tail of lake and all the way down to the 35W bridge, Summertime crankbaiting the deeper areas out from the 3 main rock bars in the north central part of the lake. Crawler harnesses also work great. In the fall I personally love to chase the White BASS with crankbaits all over the lake.As far as my favorite lake I am a little partial to Lake Mazaska, grew up there with my best friends family in thier cabin on the lake. Has great quality bass,northerns,panfish and big walleyes if you can get them to bite. On Mazaska mainly fish the weeds And I mean the WEEDS, not just the edges. Thier is a couple little humps out in the lake that are hard to find, but they are fish magnets. Took my wife to one little secret spot on the lake and it was her first time fishing deep water without a bobber, where it was all feel, she did do good but she had a hard time believing panfish that good in size would be out in the 'middle of no where'. I have to admit when we do go I try to make sure we do catch fish. Maybe that is my problem, shouldn't work so hard at it just have fun. Got to go Could probably talk your ears off.
Remember "May all the eyes you cross be big!"
Firm believer of C.P.R.
Only take what you can eat at one siitting.

Rippinlip.
What resort does you in-laws have here in Park Rapids? I know alot of resort owners as I am on the Park Rapids Chamber Board and have been involved here for 31 years. oH oH I am aging myself. What lake do you like to fish up here?
Thanks
Sharon
[email protected]
< smile.gif))))><

Mary- Never Iced fish in Iowa!!! Grab that bucket and a rod and hit the hard water. Some of the best ice fishing is in Iowa. Especially if you like to catch big bulls(Bluegill) and Crappie. I lived in Iowa for 5 years and must say the fishing was nothing short of awesome. I would be glad to share my spots with you. I am now back home in Minnesota, but often think of catching those 1 pound bluegill one after another. Now that was fishing. It is nice to hear from women that have an interest in fishing. If you are really nice to Lisa G, she may tell you where the perch are biting on Mille Lacs lake. I must not have been nice enough to her, because she has not emailed me with the hot report yet. Until then, I wait. Oh, I have to add that guiding certainly has its drawbacks. On the surface it looks like the best job in the world, but I would recommend, that if you can go fishing with whoever you want, whenever you want, don't get into guiding.Just some advice from someone who has been there.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Rippinlip,

WOW thanks for all the info. We will for sure fish Cannon Lake this year. Titonka walleyes are plentiful but small. Every once in awhile you hear of someone catching a good one. With reminds me did you hear about the lady that caught a good size Muskie on Titonka last year?

Got my lake maps out and looked up some of the spots you mentioned. Big mistake I only thought I had spring fever before.

White Bass really hit good in the fall on Titonka also. Nothing more fun then getting into a school of them you can't get your line back in the water fast enough.

We've fished Mazaska before, but it was a few years ago and don't remember having much luck, but we'll have to give it another try this year also.

Probly have to ask you more when the time gets closer. Just went thru Waterville today on the way up to Prior Lake.

We are making plans on going to the Sports Show in the City's. We always make a weekend out of it and of course a stop at Cabela's on the way back to stock up on fishing gear for the year.

THANKS AGAIN MARY

Hi ScottS,

I've never ice fished any where, but I think we are going to have to start next year. Winters are just to long with out being able to fish.

Where did you live and fish in Iowa? 1 pound bluegills wow. Do they give as good of a fight threw the ice as they do on open water? I really enjoy catching big blue gills on my ultra light.

I think your right about the guiding. Did you make any money off of it when you guided?
I couldn't believe the amount of money they wanted for insurance. Thanks Mary

Yes there is money to be made in guiding, but you better have some other form of income while you are getting started. The insurance is expensive, that is why I am now an insurance agent (not a joke). I lived in West Des Moines and Ankeny during my stay in Iowa. Probably farther South than you are, but some of the lakes are worth the drive. Bluegill fight just as hard and are as fun to catch through the ice as they are on the good old ultra lights. It sounds like you have picked some pretty good lakes in Southern Minnesota. But, if you are ever heading South, let me know, I have some sure bets for someone who enjoys catching big bulls.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Hi ScottS,

Yes we live in Northren Iowa just a mile from the Minnesota boarder south west of Albert Lea about 20 miles. I have a daughter that just moved to Eldora and plan on getting down there some this summer. Do you know any good places to fish around there? Any that I could take my 3 year old grandaughter fishing from shore would be nice? Thanks Mary

The only Lake North of Des Moines I ever fished was Big Creek. That is a real nice lake with a Park around almost the entire lake. It has pretty good muskie fishing in the spring, when they are spawning. Can be a blast if you hit it right. As far as the Eldora area, I deer hunted there several years but never fished that area. Most of the lakes I fished were South or East of Des Moines. Can't be much help I guess. ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

You are right Scott that Big Creek is a pretty lake. Since the DNR drained it down to dredge it and add habitat about three years ago it has been a good place for picnics but not much good as a fishery. I used to catch a lot of crappie, bass, walleye, tiger muskie and channel cat in that lake but not recently. Badger Creek, just SW of West Des Moines is good for panfish and bass. Easter Lake, in SE Des Moines, is decent for panfish and catfish. Three mile and Twelve mile, way SW in Union County have nice size crappie and bluegill and fair size LM bass. The Des Moines river just south of DM near the old power plant is good for walleye - my 12 year old grandson caught an 8 1/2 pounder there just before it iced over. The river anywhere is good for channel cat, flathead, striper and white bass - good for walleye and crappie and an occasional northern in the spring. I would appreciate any tips you have on spots east of Des Moines. I've not tried anything east.

I used to catch 2 pound crappies out of easter lake. I found that not a lot of people fished the lake and it had huge crappies in. You would catch a lot of those small ones, but then every once and awhile you could get those 1.5 to 2 pounders. Out of all the lakes I fished in Iowa, that was the best for the big slabs. Badger Creek, my favorite!! That is one of the best Bluegill lakes I know of. The average size is unbelievable and the population of fish is incredible. I have caught bleugill up to 1.6 lbs out of Badger Creek. Man, I think about that lake all the time. Other than that I fished Red Rock during the crappie spawn for the big slabs in flooded timber and that was always a blast. I am drawing a blank on any of my other favorites. I only fished Big Creek after is was drawn down and I thought it was pretty good. Good walleye fishing and the average size was pretty nice. The tiger muskie were not huge, but the action was great.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Rippinlip
Had a great time catchin basses on 10th Crow Wing last July right at sunset on surface lures...and the wife was catching them on pre-rigged plastic worms (Touchdown worms)

Grassman, thanks for the advice I will look up the area when we come up. Really looking forward to the trip. What does Long Lake have for fish, can I plan on doing some panfish fishing with the family, then get away and do some BASS fishing by my lonesome,where on the lake do I look first? What kind of structure am I going to be fishing, rocks, timber, slop, distinct weed edges? I am coming up with a full boat of equipment. Any BIG pike? Just can't wait. (talk about the cabin blues!) Just spent 3.5 hours at Cabelos making out my wish list for summer tournament fishing. WOW got to get the jigs a flippin'.

Rippinlip, Sounds like you have a good case of spring fever now also. Cabela's does that to a person we were up there the end of January. Today on the radio I heard a good one. What ever it takes to make your boat float. I like little sayings like this. Like the one his ore's don't quite touch the water. Do you know any that have to do with fishing? Are you going to the sports show in Minneapolis? My husband Guy and I are we always make it a weekend thing. On our way home we stop at Cabels. We also stop at Fleet Farm they have a lot of fishing equipment to choose from and can usally find some real good deals there. There sure don't seem to be many Lady Anglers out there that read this forum. I know a few and would tell them to check this out but I know they don't have computers. I know a lady that can out fish any man and has so much knowledge about fishing but she isn't a computer person which is to bad she could add alot to this forum. Goog thing for you gise thow you have given alot of good advise. Talk at you later MARY