• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tricks for getting bears in during daylight.

I'm no expert but this worked for me...

Always try and bait at the same time, morning, noon whatever. The bears will get used to the bait being full at that time. Make a big racket on your way out, yelling come get it, foods on, whatever. On the day of the hunt, bait at the same time with another person...as you slip into your stand have the other person walk out of the woods making the same racket you did. The bears are around, they can definitely hear you. They will think the coast is clear to come in and feed.

Baiting in an area with many bears is obviously advantageous as the bears will "compete" for the bait, trying to get at it before the bigger bears chase them out.

Good luck.

hookset, give a little more info on what your doing. there are a bunch of things to try but it is generely base around your current baiting methods. One thing I like to is find out where he is coming from an set up a stand along his trail route to the site, alot of time a bear will come in an hang just outside the site perimeter an wait till dark, this way you ambush him before he gets to the site. I also like to have two stands at a site if possible, what setter an iceman noted are great ideas, Having two stands though allows two guys to sit an one hunt, 45, min. before dark, nonhunter leaves makeing some noise, not alot but some, snap a twig, clear your throat, suttle noises, this might trick the bear into thinking you leaft the area an come in for hunter in stand, but these are things are to be used when you been hunting a few times an he is coming in late. right now with a week to go before hunting I would just keep things as they are till then an if nothing shows during daylight, then the first time you hunt do a good bacon burn that might be enough to get his feed on early, it is time consuming to pull bait but it dose work, but first try less feed, if you really piling it on he comes when he wants to, if ya cut back he might come in early to get in on the goodies. With a week to go anything could happen. let us know what your currently doing now so we can go off of that. Boar

Try a am radio at night it has worked in th epast for us but you may have to sit in the morning. I have had bears come in 5 min after leaving the site as my cameras have shown me. I put a stand off the bait where I heard somthing it also has worked. Another thing that works is put a small amount of bait ounce they are activly being hit it has also worked like they are a bit more hungry. Betther yet if a buddy puts one down rub the pelt with a damp rag and hand near bait when you go out it put the scent of an outsider and gets a dominent bear to check it out.

the best luck ive had for getting late bears to come in to the bait during daylight is to keep a routine as stated above same time same noise, then start bringing less and less bait, and when u start hunting, carry in your bait bucket and a bucket with scat from another area, if u don't see em the first night take the bait out with u and leave the scat

i just heard another tip. try sprinkling flower around the bait. in the dark it will kinda glow to the bears eye and he wont come in during the night. i have never tried this so i dont know if it works first hand. good luck to everyone hope to have a picture of a big one come monday when i get home.

iceman

I thought of doing the flour thing to help out line the bear the last 10 minutes of hunting. It sure gets dark fast under the trees compaired to the field I walk out on. The bait site is all dug up and black and the bears blend in the last 15 min of legal shooting.

i heard with the amount of light the moon will be giving this weekend it makes the bait glow. and bears wont come in. i heard this from an ol time guide up in the ely area where we hunt. he told me that one year when i was having troubles getting bears to come in during shooting hours. i tired it and i had a couple smaller bears coe in during shooting hours but not the one i was after.

iceman

I've had the best luck with just cutting Way back on the food...when I get a bear that's consistantly late, I just bring in two jelly rolls and that's all that's under the logs when he gets there...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! As for the full moon, In 20 years of bear hunting I've noticed that almost...almost...all the bears get "late"...nocturnal during a period of the full moon...but it usually doesn't take too long afterward until they turn around and start hitting at better times again...ya just gotta hang in there and keep em happy!

setter, this is exactly what worked for us. Three times we met bears at the bait when we were rebaiting during the day. They get use to the "dinner bell". One place we had two baits down the same small over grown road. We baited the first one, which we use metal garbage cans with two poles bolted on the sides to carry it in so there was plenty of noise! When we were done we still had a can left over so we thought we would throw the last can back on the first bait on the way by. We were only at the second bait and back in about 15min's. When we would go into bait I always carried a 44 Ruger in a shoulder holster for a little back-up. We just got in the woods by the bait and this nice bear stands up and stares us down, but would not leave! We yelled, waved at it, nothing! I reached over and broke a branch off a tree and he took off for the hills! When we got back to the truck and I went to unload my 44, "EMPTY" cry

I changed my bait and it worked...

I had been using only sweets (cookie dough and nuts). But last night it had a thougth, i sprayed the area down with liquid smoke, and he came in.

470 pounds dressed. it was cool, i will post pictures when i can.

Joe