• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PS3 Slim Sitings?

JimBuck

Has anyone seen the PS3 slim on shelves yet? I know they were released today and some BB's in FL. have already begun carrying them. I am curious because I have a few friends who are finally taking the plunge into the PS3 world and are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new units.

I thought it was Sept 1st they came out. Best Buy still has them in preorder status on their HSOforum. (I am going to get one myself, so I have been watching for them!!)

*Update*

If you pre-order through GameStop it should be there for pick-up. A friend just received the call. I've got the older 60gb. fatty and am happy with it. Although the new re-design solves a lot of flaws incorporated with older systems (efficiency, heat-sink, massiveness).

Cool. I have gift cards at BB, so I will wait until they have them in stock.

I plan on getting GTA and Madden right off the bat. I know there aren't a ton of games out yet, are there 2-3 other ones I should get?

Yeah, COD Modern warfare! Get accustomed to it before MW2 hits. World at War is good too but if you just wanted to get one, Definately MW.

I just dropped 160 to fix my system a day before they announced the new ones. If they would have been a day sooner I probably would have just bought one of them.

I will be utilizing my BB extended warranty....... works out great as the systems took a price drop so I'll have extra money to burn......... I'll most likely use it towards games for my xbox 360 as I feel the online gaming is more user friendly on the 360. I don't own/buy any games for the PS3, it is strictly a Blue-Ray player in our house...... however Metal Gear was a good game although very short.

Just got home from BB with my new Slim PS3, they had atleast 10 on the shelf. I checked online this morning and most stores had them listed as "In Stock". This thing looks better in my entertainment center than the old brick of a PS3, seems quieter also.

I like the old one better, because its "shiny". Side by side, size wise not much difference, and the Slim isn't backwards compatible with PS2 games like most of the older PS3's

I'm the opposite, I like the matte finish. As for the backward scompatability that don't matter to me since my old 40gb ps3 didn't have it and I don't own any ps2 games. In the past I have held on to old games only to have them collect dust but then again I play mostly online shooters and typically only play with a few regulars. I usually don't own more than 2-3 games at any given time.

Backwards compatibility is a big deal to alot of ppl. I can't tell you how mad I was when I bought an XBOX 360 right after it came out, hooked it up and unhooked my original XBOX and it wouldn't play any of my old games. The 360 got kicked to the curb pretty quick in favor of my PS3, and I don't regret it one single bit.

I got my PS3 from BB and have been downloading game demos, which is very cool. Question: How do you get back from playing a demo to the PS3 Menu so you can play a different one? It seems like once I get in a game, I can't get out without power down.

Looking forward to trying some of the demos of the games mentioned above!!!!

Thanks!

CJH, There's a circular button in the middle of the controller between Start and Select that is called the PS Button. Quickly pressing it will allow you to access your XMB Menu (Main navigation menu) and a press and hold will prompt 3 additional options.....Quit Game, Controller Settings, Turn off System. I'm not in front of my PS3 right now but I'm almost certain that's the protocol for getting out of a demo or any launched game/application.

My buddy picked one up as well and I finally had a chance to check it out. First impressions.....

1.Doesn't run nearly as hot as the older gen. PS3's.

2.Matte finish is nice. The ol' glossy finish on the previous models were fingerprint magnets.

3.Backwards compatibility isn't there but I wouldn't worry about it. Only the 60gb. launch PS3's came with backwards compatibility. I have yet to put a PS2 game in my 60gb. No reason to dwell on the past when some excellent titles are being released now.

Thanks JB, I figured it out shortly after posting. Always happens that way!!!

I like the matte finish as well. I had read that the byproduct of the smaller chip/less power equation was less heat also, so Sony wasn't really worried about overheating with it.

I have been pretty happy with it, playing Resistance Fall of Man Demo right now!!

FWIW, pick up COD WaW at an online auction site, or maybe at a Gamestop, or HSO-Classifieds, but if you're going to buy it at BB or other retailer, I'd wait 2+ months and get the new one, before I'd pay full price for WaW.

Just in case you didn't know there's a new COD coming out, and wonder why no one is playing WaW when you finally get it. laugh