• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

End of season?

Jim W

ughhh,

Here we are, nearing the end of another trout season!

Wondering if anyone would care to share any patterns or observations from this year?

Did streams you fish produce like usual, size of fish remain near average? Etc.

For me early season was very good in numbers and size, but things seemed to flatten as we progressed through the season.

Stream conditions changed a lot with all of the rain and flooding, making for new water and habitat to explore and cast to!

Here's to another year wading gone by! Now it's time to wade small waters for other finned creatures!!!

Keep in mind, Next Spring wil be the 5th Annual Trout Day!!! Should be a good itme once again!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 09-29-2004).]

For me, the season started off really hot, tapered off in midsummer, and never really picked up again. I was hoping for a hot bite to pick up these past few weeks, but the weather's been too goofy--hot days in late afternoon, cold mornings, cold spells, hot spells, etc. At least that's my story smile.gif

Had a great time fishing last night with an older guy I met on the river. After dark, when I got back to my car I found about a dozen dries he left for me. Just want to say thanks if he's reading this.

Here's to another season on the books. Can't wait until the winter season.

I hit the water as hard as possible (my son is now 6 months old) as I didn't have much time. But the times I was out early season were difficult to find many fish.
It was funny, last year I discovered the joys of fishing Rapalas for Trout and thought I was on to the next big thing on the river I fish.....I don't think I caught....wait I got 2 fish on cranks this season.

The river levels were extremely low for me for most of the year so I had to try new things, which of course wasn't soo bad. Met a really good guy who showed me stuff on the river I NEVER would have known. Ended up catching a couple big boys but this year I had quite a bit fewer big boys.

My best pattern was 1/64oz Panthers as tight to the bank as possible. The reason for the extremely small ones is it's a quite small river and when it was low it was tough. But even on those baits I managed some upper teens fish. And mostly I was hoping for quantity, but when I would see the quality fish I was after I would change if need be.

Almost forgot,

I also ended up fishing in a Stocked lake quite a bit this year. It was some of the best. Of course it wasn't at all like fishing in the river. But 2 weekends ago I think we totaled 50 fish in 2 trips with 2 dozen each day give or take a few. All brookies, from 9" to 15" with a chance for a 17-18"

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z
My Sponsors

[This message has been edited by jpz (edited 09-29-2004).]

hello all, i'd have to say that i had one of my better years for trout then i'd had for the past few.
i fished from the twin cities to red wing, through white water down to forestville state park. all the areas had enough fish to play with!
my smallest of the year was a 5" rainbow on the root, i must have caught a half dozen or more. full of fight, not all that much punch!
i must have C/R about 200 browns and bows, a couple of suckers and one 5lb. carp. what a suprise that fish was!
looking forward to next years trout days and getting back to the streams! later all Ken

only fished mn early season (C&R in Feb.)..... fished the whitewater-- first trip was about 15 degrees..... and the river was almost frozen all the way across... only managed one fish between us..... next trip it had warmed we each caught 12 fish or so......

rest of the season spent on the rush and kinni-- mainly the rush..... best year i've had in the area..... fly fishin mostly--- lots of nymphs (hares ears and pheasant tails), many on caddis and parachute adams, plenty on sulphur comparaduns......

while the rivers south suffered what seemed to be inconsistent flows, the rush stayed steady most of the year..... tons of fish over 14--- esp. early season...... got out last week of the season and there are plenty of big ones left in there for next year.....

have to hit the lakes here with the float tube before oct. 30 rolls round.....