• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trout stream access

disco

to clarify, is it legal to wade in from a bridge or other public access point into privately owned land, provided one stays in the river the whole time? that's what i thought the rule was, i was just double checking.....

here's what the DNR says bout it...... they don't mention that tidbit until the end, but i think that's what they are stating.....

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fwt/back_issues/june98/ask_dnr.html

and does "within the streambanks" refer to in the water or up to the high water mark for that year, as in montana? thanks for any help here....

------------------
Obviously you are not a golfer....

Very rare to actually stay with in the banks! Better get permission!
I have been asked to leave on several occasions over the years. A couple times after I was granted permission earlier.

The high water mark won't get you anywhere with a landowner.

Also, not all streams have easements, most of the language in the DNR's descriptor relate to eased streams and adjacent land.

I have found many many places over the years where I don;t need to worry about it. However, if in question just take the time to check out a PLatt map or stop and ask permission.

It will only help your chance to fish and uncrease landowner/fisherman good working relationships!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Good point Jim. It's not worth getting in a [PoorWordUsage]ing contest with the landowner. There is always better fishing just up the bend. But as far as who is in the right. As far as the DNR says, if you access the land from Public property and if you stay in the water at least while in the private property you are okay....at least by what the DNR has told me. But of course it is always best to ask permission.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z