• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First outing on Minnetonka

shiltsy

Since moving back to MN, I've been focused on East Metro lakes. Time to travel outside of my comfort zone and hit Tonka tomorrow. I've never fished the lake and it's a little overwhelming, but I'm going to get out there early and focus on a couple of bays. The plan right now is to start with shallow buzzbait early and then focus on jig or drop shot later.

Wish me luck!

Well, it was a beautiful morning and at just before 6 AM on a Sunday morning, there was no line at the Gray's Bay landing. That's the good news!

As far as the fishing, just managed one small snake and one bass (maybe pound and a half)... I stuck pretty shallow all morning and wonder if maybe I should have been closer to the outside weedline.

I think it might be worth getting a guided trip out on Minntonka to learn a little more about the patterns. It's an awesome lake, but not sure I'm good to enough to figure it out on my own without some help.

[PoorWordUsage]lsy,

I had a similar experience on Saturday. Caught one 2.5 lb on the outside weedline in about 10-12 fow and then a 1 lb in about 7-8 fow. Nothing in the shallows for me. I didn't see anyone really pulling much up and was wondering if the bite slowed after all those storms we had.

Tonka has been slow for most of the week. Weds nighter was won with only 16# and 14 got you a check. I was out with my son over the weekend (his last free one before deploying to Afghanistan) and the bite was miserable. Hopefully we will do better this evening on another lake yet to be determined.

I had some luck last night in the lily pads right near dark. We were throwing spooks to the edges and frogs hitting all the gaps. Other than that, the only fish we found were some active ones off the deep weed edges in 8-10' with rattletrap type baits or deeper cranks. Several fish caught with biggest around 18.5" but slow evening overall for sure.

Hey CaptZ21, I'd love to get you and your son on some bass but I don't wanna post it on here. Email me at jeff _ lynch 55 at yahoo dot com. A buddy of mine's been beating the snot outta the bass at a small west metro lake the last week