• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

North Shore Salmon Fishing

Renneberg

Just got back from the north shore. This time I was lookin for salmon not trout. The salmon were in the river but not in big numbers yet. Most of the salmon were pinks, but a few kings were mixed in.

The pinks were willing biters. Spinners took the most fish, but spoons, egg sacks and yarn flies also worked. The color that came out on top was orange.

The key to catching them was to slow roll the lure close to the bottom without getting snagged, which can be very hard to do on some north shore stream. This proved very effective on the pinks and even one king.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

rennenberg-

forgive my ignorance, but i'm not familiar with a "slow roll on the bottom"...... how exactly is this accomplished?

and how long does the run up there last?

thanks for the help

------------------
Obviously you are not a golfer....

Well slow rollin means to reel the spinner in just slow enofe to keep the blade rollin, but fast enofe to keep it off the bottom and getting snagged.

I've caught fresh cohos and steelhead up there in the very end of october, so any time from now to maybe mid-november you should be able to catch salmon.

Be sure to read the regs. book on the stream you fish because just about every stream has special regs. for it.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

This time I didn't lost to many lures. I learned quickly where not to cast and where I could cast.

Once that king know he was hooked he took off like a rocket down stream. When he did that I know that I had to keep him in the hole or I was in for a long run. Anyone that's hooked a king knows that that's almost impossible to stop them from running. Just as he got to the very back end of the hole he stopped for a few seconds, then came flying back upstream.

This time he went to the top of the hole to see if he could run upstream, but no luck.

After he made a few more laps around the hole, he slowly gave in.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Renne,

Which streams were you hitting? Or of course if you don't want to say that is fine. I just know the majority of them you can't have Treble hooks so I hope you switched to a Siwash on your spinners... smile.gif

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

Yep, I used single hooks.

Sorry, I won't say where I caught the fish, but the fact that I said I caught a king should narrow the list of streams down alot!

Kings only run in a handful of streams in Minnesota. Pinks on the other hand run in just about every stream that flows into Lake Superior.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Well it sounds like I might have to make a grouse hunting salmon fishing trip. Although I just got back from alaska two weeks ago. Somehow I don't think the french river in MN compares to the Kenai or russian rivers in Alaska but it's still fun. ALthough I am still looking forward to a fall steelhead trip on the Brule.

Nice Fish Renne! Okay, I've got a couple streams that I'm thinking you were fishing. I think the wife and I will be hitting Duluth in November. Don't think I'll be fishing though

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z
My Sponsors