• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CHAINSAW BAR OIL LEAKING

MIKE IN lINO III

It's happened on some of my saws before, too, including a couple Stihls. I always assumed it was just residual oil that was in the bar lube system and naturally kept coming out after shutdown. I'm now cutting with an MS290 that does it now and then, and my backup, an older 028, does it sometimes too.

I generally use that time to pull off the chain cover and air filter cover and wipe down the saw with a rag to clean it and make it ready for its next use. By the time I'm done with that, the residual bar lube is done flowing.

Otherwise you can just let it sit on the lawn/ground for awhile before putting it away.

I know L and M sells the gallons in both 10 and 30 weight. 10 weight is like cooking oil, and 30 is like maple syrup. About the same colors respectively, too. Supposed to use 10 in the winter because 30 may not flow in cold temps. 10 is really too thin in the summer though.

I run whatever is handy: motor oil, tranny fluid, bar oil, etc. Then again I have older saws so there is no warranty to worry about. My friend's dad would strain used motor oil and use that. Anything thinner will run through quicker and puddle more, especially in a Husky. We usually keep one of those cheap foil pans in the shed to set the saw in.

STF, you still planning to come and get some Aspen?

Steve

I own a Farm Boss too. I had the same issue start last fall and I finally had to brig it in to get it looked at with a more experienced set of eyes.

I asked about the oil weight and was told that doesn't really matter.

Turned out to be a disconnected line between the resevoir and the pump according to the guy who fixed it. All I know is that it's working fine now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.