• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Black Hills SD Trout Fishing

Kab Dreamin

I'm not sure what they were using but the boys were catching some nice trout while we were out there Turkey hunting this spring. The fish we saw get caught were out west of Hill City, fishing the streams that flow into Deerfield Lake. I would assume flys, for it would be a lot of pool hopping from pool to pool.

Good Luck

Kab, I have chased trout out there for the last few years. Last year it was very dry and many of the smaller streams in the hills actually dried up, but I did find good fishing in Spearfish creek below and through the town of Spearfish. Used Super Bow spinners,(Silver, gold, and Gold/silver) great action catching Browns up to about 16". I have also caught many Rainbow from this stream, some over 20". There is also a good Catch and Release section way up the canyon above town. The innertube craze was starting in here last year so fishing through Spearfish may get trounced during hot days. Check out the Booth Hatchery if you go there, you'll get inspired!
Another almost never fail stream is Rapid creek through and above Rapid City. This stream is fed by the Pactola Resivor so it never gets low and is always very cold. Rapid creek has, in the past, held the thickest population of trout I have seen, and I caught and released the most trout in one day ever in this stream, but the largest was less than 15". I used Super Bow spinners here also. Fishing seems to get better as you get closer to the Pactola Dam, But special regulations are in place in the upper sections.
CHAPTER 2. (LOL)
It may have been easier for you to just download the SD regs, how many pages did I write?
Keeping it Short!
John

Thanks for the info, guys. Since we are taking this trip in place of our annual walleye pilgrimage to the Canadian border, I need to find some fish or the withdrawal symptoms will be severe.

[This message has been edited by Kab Dreamin (edited 07-22-2004).]

We ended up fishing Spring Creek just south and jsut north of Hill City. We caught several rainbows from tiny to 11" using Worden Roostertails and a fly and casting bubble. Didn't catch any at Deerfield Lake but did get a few in the stream that flows into the north of the lake. Sheridan Lake was a bust. Had a lot of fun for the first time chasing trout.