• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

buying a 16' alumacraft and 35hp merc

gvg_uwec

My uncle has a 87 16' alumacraft classic he is selling to me, should I don't know much about the reliability of the 35hp merc. Does anybody have the same motor and are there any typical issues with this motor in the 1987 age range? The boat itself is in average shape and the only thing I know that it needs is a new impeller as the tattle tale stream is getting weak.

Garrett

I have about the same motor (96 25hp) and it runs good. I have even been able to fix/tune it when needed, thanks to the hlep of Marine Man and boatfixer and Frank, and others here smile So if I can do it, you can fix anything that would come up.

Also have same vintage boat (82) and I would look at the floor, as I would bet it might be getting soft in spots. We totally ripped the whole thing apart and turned it into a duck boat, with new floor. Not too bad of a job, but you need a place to do it and the time.

Your floor might be just fine, just something to look at. Have fun, the boat will work great for you.

Had a buddy who bought a sparkling clean 87 Smokercraft with a 35 hp merc 3 years ago for what seemed to be a good deal at $3500. The boat ran great while on muffs in the driveway but had low pee flow on the water and evenually the overheat alarm began to sound intermitently. He tried to drop the lower unit to change the impeller (it did drop an inch or so) but it was frozen and couldn't be lowered (even by pounding on it)further. So he then took it to a qualified marine shop who wasn't able to remove it either. A second opinion at another shop= same result. Motor ran like a champ except for this problem and I don't recall exactly what the problem was but he ended up having to drop anoher $ 1500 for another used engine that does't run as good.

I'm prety sure this was a rare occurence and given that you're buying from your uncle you probably need not worry. Even so, I would get the impeller changed before completing the purchase.

Good luck,

Stizo

I've got an 87' Mariner 45hp. tiller. She's been great. I still see plenty of Merc./Mariner's from the same era on the lake and most I've chatted with about the motor say's they love em'. She might be a little thirsty but treat her well and she'll be a good motor for ya'. Nothing beat's the smell of 2-stroke in the morning. laugh

Thanks guys, I picked up the boat on Saturday and put a new impeller in it and a new prop on it and its running like a top. Now it just needs a well deserved bath as it sat in the water a lot this summer. Not bad for 1000.00

Couple of things...just to go back to the motor, my dad has a 86' 35hp and it's still ticking right along.

After that bath, if you still have some residue left on the motor/boat, scrub her down with some vinager to get the scum off.