• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Happiness is...

RK

...your first catfish.

ethan_catfish.jpg

My 4-year old with his first catfish, which he landed "all by himself" this weekend. Good thing his shoes were stuck in the mud or it might have yanked him off the bank... smile

Caught a bunch more this weekend too, wading in a small river. All from 1 to maybe 5 lbs, with one that might have been 7 or so. All on cutbait under a slip bobber. Really a blast...especially on light spinning tackle.

Man, circle hooks rule for kids... All you have to tell them is "when the bobber goes down, start reeling..."

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Hey Dtro -

99% of the catfishing I do is on small rivers, so I'm wading most of the time. I fish slip bobbers a lot. Most of the time in fact. Great way to cover water as you hike. I try to fish downstream as much as I can - a little easier to hit the front edge of snags and the heads of holes where the biters are without having to blunder through them first. Couple split shot spaced above the hook and just let it bump downstream. I will let it sit in an eddy sometimes but it really is great for sweeping the front faces of snags and drifting through the head of a hole. You can fish almost every snag or cut bank or root ball pretty quickly - a couple quick drifts past it and the spot's covered. Have to adjust your depth a lot to keep the rig just skipping bottom but it's not a big deal. Best thing is you hardly ever snag up.

I think you really just get the biters for the most part but it's a fun way to fish. Channels don't mess around when they hit - sometimes you can hear the bobber pop when it goes under... smile

Cheers,

Rob Kimm