• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mississippi River Trout?

Kab Dreamin

I was riding my bike across the Coon Rapids dam last night and I watched a guy catch a trout out of the Mississippi. He had no idea what it was. I gotta believe it was one somebody caught in Cenaiko lake and dumped into the Mississippi. Anybody else ever hear of something like this?

------------------
Kab Dreamin

"Lost Bay is the place to be"

OFten in the SPring when the water temps are low and the clarity is high trout migrate into the Mississippi, especially where trout Streams dump in.
Brown trout are the most likely, being the specie of trout that tends to handle higher temps and lower water quality.

I personally caught a 11 inch Brwon below the RENO Spillway on the Miss. in extreme SE MN.

Common..no, happens yes!

Didnlt know what it was...that's too bad. Hope it wasn't tossed on the bank!LOL

JIm W

I lived in Winona for seven years, and down there a lot of trout streams do dump right in to the river. Fall, winter, and spring, it was not unheard of for guys to catch trout in the big river. When the water gets warm in the summer, those trout either have to find their way back in to the colder streams, or they cook. How one got into the river by Coon Rapids is anyone's guess.

Years ago, I caught a nice Brook Trout, while casting a Mepps spinner, below the old dam at the outlet of Knife Lake at Mora. I caught a smaller Brookie below the Coon Rapids dam, when Cenaiko lake was still a gravel pit!

I also seen a fella catch a good sized Brookie below the St Anthony Falls dam on the Mississippi.

A couple of years ago, someone caught a big fat Brown Trout, below the dam at Elk River.
A picture of it was posted at Ebners bait shop on hy #10.

My nephew seen a guy catch a good sized Brown Trout, below the dam on Rice Creek, where it feeds into the Mississippi this was a couple of years ago.

These are just the ones you here about, I'm sure there are alot of trout caught in weird places all over the *****, you just don't here about them.