• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what to use for rainbows in the summer

CMWINTER

If you're fishing in lakes, you might want to try fishing your crawlers a bit deeper than in the spring. I've also noticed that when a good bug hatch is happening I have a harder time catching trout in lakes with crawlers.

------------------
Erik Torgerson

Crawlers never lose! They are always the hot item!

Hook a medium sized crawler, one time, far enough down from the tip, or head end, whatever you want to call it, so that it is secure, but not so far down that it bends.

Flip it upstream, with no sinker, and let the current take it where it will...you will be surprised at how effective this can be! It will take fish when everything else won't!

You have to guide it a little bit, to get it under the banks once in awhile, or under the brush pile, but if you use the right sized hook and secure it right, it is almost weedless and snag free. If you do hang up, it's only a little #10 or smaller hook you lose.

The grebe has good advice. The only thing I would add, is to consider using a circle hook for bait. All I can say is that they work.

When you feel the fish, don't set the hook, just tighten up on it and it will be hooked almost invariably in the corner of the mouth. If you do get a swallow just cut the line. The design of the hook is such that it will probably pass through without harming the fish.

Do a google search on circle hooks and see what you come up with.

------------------
stu

Last weekend I used some small rapalas for trolling rainbows and splake. Didn't have to add any split shot like I thought I would to get it deep enough for them to bite. It was warm and sunny out and they worked quite well.

------------------
Erik Torgerson