• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pole buildings

papabear

just bought some land and the wife endorses building on it for storage and such. We're looking at a pole barn so Im asking for ideas on builders, size, and designs. I want a loft in it for sleeping in during hunting but am thinking the timbers used to support it may take up space for storing boats and such. BTW I have 3 boats, canoe, camper, john boat, 3 fourwheelers (hopefuly) to store and have room to hang deer.

How much do you want to spend?

Sounds like a big garage with attic trusses would maybe be a better option for you. I would put a couple of nice dormers upstairs so you can have windows to look out.Do you plan on cementing the floor?

Or, you could build a bigger shed and then turn one end of it into sleeping quarters, shop, etc.

I would think that you want a minimum of 30*60, but I think if you asked most guys they will say that they wished they had gone bigger. So, maybe a 40*80 is more what you are looking for if you just want a regular pole shed.

pike is right i build them for a living and i find my self adding on to these sheds all the ime.i'm thinking a 36 by 64 by 12 and do a A frame with a 10/12 pitch this will give you plenty of room up stairs i could send you some more pics with different options

rs500.jpg

or rs460.jpg

Papabear, If you're getting bids on a pole barn, it wouldn't hurt to get bids on a stud frame building too. There are pros and cons to both, as you will hear if you talk to a builder that prefers one or the other. I have one of each, and have wired, plumbed, and insulated both, and IMHO the stud frame was overall easier to work in and especially to finish off. If you plan on finishing it at some point, if you do a pole barn you'll need to frame it in later, whereas with stud framing that is done right away. Have a blast planning a new building on your new land!!

stick frame will cost more for sure!!!and is not more energy efficent also you will use 1/4 of the studs you use for stick frame,you can clearspan with post frame and no support wall there much more and papabear i will send ya some pic this weenend i'm out of town

FWIW - my buddy build a 50x80 pole barn (he was going to do 30x60, and I can say I helped talk him ito bigger, and he is glad now), and he is going to finish a 30x30 section of it for living quarters. That still leaves a big section for storage, and he is putting in floor heat (at least the tubes for now) in the living section slab. I can't recall how much it cost him, but was reasonable and done by some local guys who do a lot of them.

On advice of his buddy an electrician, he is going with the in floor heat, but also a forced air furnace with a/c because it gives the most bang for the buck for heat and a/c while keeping cost down. Also has versitility as well, duel fuel electric costs, etc.

It ended up very nice on the outside, and the plans look really good for inside - one BR, one bath, and nice kitchen/living room and a utility room, main area with fireplace. I think his estimate just to frame it up (by same group who did slab) is about $3500 (lumber and labor), just to give you some figures. That is not electric or sheetrock or plumbing. edit - this cost is just for the framing of the living quarters, not the whole building smile

I would think about going larger footprint and keeping living quarters on ground level. Price might be close, and give you more room, with no steps. No steps is nothign to young folks, but as you get older, steps are less attractive wink Trust me, ha!

Good luck, congrats on the land purchase, and have fun building! You will have tons of fun when finished, a good investment.

Edit - btw, Ranger, those pics look like really, really nice buildings! Very cool!