• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's the infatuation?

eyepatrol

Yea you could debate Ford vs Chevy thing all day.

As far as the gas mileage, I think it's about Carbureted vs Fuel Injection more than brand or even 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. From what I've read, talked to people and seen a FI motor will get almost twice the mileage a carbureted motor will.

With my 2001 Merc 90 2 stroke carb motor on a small boat I was only averaging 3.5 MPG.

Originally Posted By: Musky_Madness
I have a 150 Optimax and wouldn't trade it for anything.

So I would assume if someone offered you a Yamaha F150 in the same year (100% perfect running condition/same hours/equal SS prop) and you did not have to pay anything for the re-rigging or controls, you would not think of switching it up? whistlegrinwink

Trading Up? My Optimax weighs 30 lbs less, (431lbs vs 466lbs) has an alternator that is 2x as powerful (60amps vs 35 amps), and gets comparable gas mileage with a 5 year warranty compared to Yamaha's 3. I have no Yammy envy at all. I like my Opti plain and simple.

Opti's are sweet motors for sure. Love the sound from those things. For a lot of applications I wouldn't trade an Opti for a Yam 4s either.

One thing I'd comment on. I was initally worried about the alternator on my Yam F75 being only 25 amps. The best thing about Yamaha alternators is their rate of charge at low RPM's. If I'm trolling in idle and especially at 1000 RPM's or so, it kicks out a pretty good charge. I can anchor at night and run lights, pumps, sonar, GPS etc. A short ride home and I'm all good to go on charge again.

has an alternator that is 2x as powerful (60amps vs 35 amps),

Agreed, it has a higher output alternator. The real question is what is the difference in power consumption? The DFI system on the optimax consumes way more power than the efi system on the Yamaha... which is not related to model at all, just the difference in DFI vs EFI. You might have a slight edge in the end on charging, but it will be very close.

marine_man

Whats the infatuation? Well, it might not matter to most but Yamaha pays their contingency money as promised to tournement folks. One other brand out there does not. Opti's are a good motor to but comparing them to a four stroke Yamaha isn't really an apples to apples deal.

Yamaha's get decent MPG's but so do Opti's

Yamaha's are quiet, Opti's are not. Verado's are, Etecs so-so

yamaha 4 strokes have the reputation of being bullet proof.

Opti's have an air compressor and will not run when the belt breaks or bearings go bad (and they do).

Yamaha 4 strokes and Verado's need the oil changed, Opti, HPDI and Etecs do not.

Opti, HPDI and Etec's require injector oil at $30-50 per gallon depending on oil/location.

Yamaha's usually cost less HP to HP than the others.

Optis and Etecs have an easy winterization mode.

4 stroke motors will generally outlast DFI type motors by a great margin if you put enough hours on.

Is there a bad motor out there? IMO no, but some are better than others depending on what you are looking for. So to answer the question what is the infatuation? If the dealer believes his customers want an affordable bullet proof, low maintenance quite fuel efficient motor, he will hang the motor on the back that will sell.