• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Forestville St. Park

MNice

We're heading down there for a Dad's & kids camping weekend. I have fished all my life, but never tried for trout. Any suggestions within the park to try and fool some of these beauties? I think I need a trout stamp too, correct?

thanks for any info, Jeff

Jeff,

This coming weekend the South Branch of the Root should be flowing real nice!

#9 rapalas(until you get use to throwing them),
spinnersin white, black, purple.

Early and late in the day concentrate on the faster water for big fish. Look for hide outs created by current, debris and undercut banks and rocks!

RIght near the A-loop in the campground is a nice deep rock lined run with a large hole at the end.

HAve to hit that early!

Try fishing up and out of the park a bit as well. In other words, try to get a sense of where others haverecently fished.

If there ramains cloudied water, it won't matter as much(fish less spooked).

ALways fish upstream! I prefer long casts.

LEt usknow how youdo!

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W

You do need a trout stamp, and I would suggest a light action rod with 4-6 lb. mono and then follow Jim W's recommendations.
There's additional advice in both this and in the "Trout" thread down at the bottom of the forums menu.

Another question if I may. with all the rain lately, how's the rivers doing, high & dark I would assume. Also, should I bring waders, or just cast from the banks?

Again, sorry if all these questions have been asked 100 times, but I would like to get the girls on some fish.

Thanks so much, Jeff

By this weekend, the South Branch should be good....very good for throwing hardware!

ALways bring waders, don't limit yourself.
I rarely fish while in the stream myself. However, to cross or pinpoint a cast at times warrants wet feet.

Other than to cross, make a difficult or precision cast, drop your presentation behind a downed limb/tree, fishing while in the stream is not recommended or encouraged.

Along the bank is fine, it is a rarity to find it a MUST to hang out in the stream to catch trout!(unless you are in big water like the main branch of the root)

PS> Call Deb or Mark at the Park a day or two before you come, making sure things aren't out of hand. Never know when the skies will open again?!!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 06-14-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 06-14-2004).]

Well, we're back and had a great time! Spent a little time fishing with no success, but the kids still had fun and were smiling brightly. Thanks Jim & Ufda for your responses.