• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baits for stocked trout

Cooter

Anyone had any luck using baits such as the Berkley Power nuggets for trout? I live near a lake that has been stocked with mostly rainbows for more than a dozen years. The water is clear and spring fed but very weedy. Doesn't really ever seem to major hatches to fish so I need to resort to other tactics. Used to catch a few on tube baits while fishing crappies, but they were few and far between. Was online at Cabelas and there a lots of baits similar to the Power bait I mentioned. Any info. guys? Thanks.

Trout love power baits. Both power nuggets and power twisters.

Fish the nuggets under a bobber over deep water on bright days. A good depth finder will show you what depth there at.
Also look for them near the weedline early and late in the day, or on cloudy days.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Thanks. About what temperature do you think they'll be hanging out in? Surface temp in some waters around here has been low-mid 70's.
Knowing this will probably help me choose the temp.

I would say somewhere in the mid-50's would be ideal.

Low 70's is way to warm!

Trout become stressed when the water stays above 65 degrees and will die if they stay in 70 degree water for too long.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

I'll start at 10 feet and work my way down from there. I knew temp was a big factor with trout just wasn't sure how big. Maybe I can somehow tie my extra aquarium thermometer to the line and take temp at various depths.