• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rapalas for trout in lakes

Redlantern

I was wondering what size some of you use for strean trout in lakes. I was fishing this weekend and decided to put the crawlers away and try trolling with raps. I had plenty of strikes but couldn't land one. I was using a number nine rapala. The hooks seem sharp but the fish wouldn't stay on. I was thinking maybe I should downsize. Any suggestions? Thanks

------------------
Erik Torgerson

RedLantern -
9's are what I most commonly use in streams when throwing Raps. I've used 5's thru 11's with 7's and 9's being most common. After last Thurs. with Jim W. there will be a few more 11's in my trout arsenal in the future. You can also try #6 and #8 Husky Raps - they will suspend and run a little deeper. Sometimes trout like a pause in the retrieve that the Husky allows you to do more naturally.

Thanks for the info. I was amazed at how many hits I was getting. Have you ever tried replacing the trebles with a single hook? Would that help increase hook ups?

------------------
Erik Torgerson

I don't think replacing the treble hooks would increase your hookup rate but it is a good idea because it will dramitically increase the survial rate of fish if you practice C and R. I don't fish raps anymore but when I did I sometimes even completely removed the front hook and still had no prolem getting hookups. I also like any crank that suspends, you're right they love that little pause.

good luck