• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Slug Gun and Scope

I'm looking into getting a new slug gun this year and was wondering what is a good gun to get? I'm thinking about getting the new Browning Silvers or the new Savage Bolt-Action Slug gun. I'm a smaller frame guy so I like to get me a 20ga. I only care about shot placement and not the knockdown power. Also, what is a good scope to go with it. Price will be anywhere up to 20 benjamins, that's what the wife limit me to. Just like to get everyone's thought.

Thanks

You could get a very nice set-up for "20 Benjamins." I wish my fiance were so understanding smile My favorite slug gun is a Browning Gold 3 1/2 cantilever with a LX-I 2-7 shotgun on it. Having the semi-auto is nice, but if you empty your magazine your gun is worth about $30 less......

fishin58 is right, I read that same article and was kicking around the idea of a 20 ga rifled cantelever scope mount shotgun and look at those HNR shotguns. Field and Stream really had a hard time knockin it.

Just for the record they get paid to do those gun tests.

I believe Cerberus now owns NEF as well as Remington. Major advertising dollars at stake=good reviews.

Here is my two cents. Depending on how much you want to spend. I would go with a good semiauto for better second shot acquisition. I would also only look at rifled barrels, as it will decrease your need for second shot. I have nothing against pump guns, I own plenty. But the gun does move when you pump it. Hastings barrels do rock, but they are spendy. Most slug packages come with rifled barrels, especially cantilever mount, and I think for the most part, they are all good. Probably the most important aspect is finding the right ammo to shoot out of the gun and sighting your scope in on a bench. Make it a tack driver and shoot multiple brands. There are lots of great guns to choose from depending on your price range. I don't think you can go wrong with an 870, an 11-87, a Beretta AL390, Winchester X2 or X3, Browning Gold, or Benelli SBII. And they are listed in order of increasing price. I have experience first hand with all of those guns and all are good. I personally shoot a winchester 1300 with a rifled barrel for deer, but no scope, and I love it.

I currently have a Remington 870 with a Leupold VX1 3x9 mounted on. The reason I'm looking for a new gun is that my gun been a disappointment for me the last 4 yrs or so since I've got it. My very first year I got the gun, I shot a hot doe not realizing there was a big buck behind her. As soon as I saw the buck(10 pt with drop tine), I couldn't pump the gun because the empty shell was stuck in the receiver exit. So every year after that, it kept doing the same thing when I see a buck, but I could always shoot a doe with no problem. Last year was the end of the straw, the biggest buck of my life and it jammed. Luckily, my brother in law shot it with his Savage bolt action. A nice 17 pt, with 12 main frame. So I figure I'd go semi now so I'm willing to spend up to $2000 if need be.

I had the same problem It took me three different guns to finally find one that I liked. I ended up going w a SBE w a cantelever rifled barrel and a Leupold 2-9 I wanted a 2-9 because of the woods that I hunt in at times. Its also a great bird gun. I have never had mine jam are not shoot. The best part is you get used to it up land hunting so it always pulls up nice. Shoots great groops at 200 plus yards w right slugs to

If you are willing to spend that much. Go with a Benelli SBEII with the cantilever mount. You won't be disappointed, but man, they are spendy. My Dad and my uncle have one. I clean my Dad's for him every year. It is simple to clean and works flawlessly. I've had a few guns that were jammers like that. Nothing you can do except get rid of it, whether its operator error or gun malfunction, once the confidence in that gun is gone, get rid of it.

Also, my family loves Burris scopes. Leopolds are also great.

Well you dont have to even get The SBE 2 You could find the original sbe in great shape for $ 700 in camo patern but then the tuff part is the barrel I found one two yrs ago for $300 and then I put a $300 scope on her And you will have a awsome upland / deer gun for $ 1300. Ya I did get lucky on the barel I think my dad paid 500 or somthing like that. If I had the $ I would go with a SDE2 for sure

Sounds to me like you just 'short shucked it' when you got excited . Don't feel bad , it happens a lot . I have a few 870's and they work just fine , but lent them to friends who I know got excited and just 'short shucked' them , and whined about the gun which works just fine for me .........

I have 5 870 and love em all you gotta pump that son of a gun to make her work ,but i got caught up in the gotta have it machine a few years ago and bought a sbe 11 then i bought a slug barrell for it 530. 00 with tax the gun 1250.oo then i got a scope and rings another 300.00, then i went deer huntin 2 years ago and got a nice doe with an 11 pt 230 lb chasin her each with one shot at 80 yds ,it was awesome the doe rolled down the hill then the buck found her and was goring her in the hind quaters trying to get her up he give up and was just standin there wonderin [PoorWordUsage] and it was an easy shot , thought i found the ultimate gun for sure,but last year we were on a drive i jumped a nice doe missed her first shot setteled in an aimed real good squeezed and nothin the spent shell was hangin in half outta the chamber so yeah the the big money gun aint perfect either !! And i must say also that i am unimpressed with 3 and half inch turkey loads thru it also you take to much punishment it aint worth it they get just as dead with 3 inchers now for waterfowl i cant say never used it for em although im told that is where they excell but i wonder it has some serious kick thats for sure guyus tell me gas operated are a lot easier on the shoulder !

I shoot a old 870 with a 1.75x4 power weaver scope but if I was gonna go buy a slug gun I would look into the savage bolt or the marlin bolt strickly for slugs. my buddy has the marlin bolt and loves it. not sure what the model number is. bennelli would be a sweet gun thou and if I were to go with a atuo or a pump it would have to have a canilever barrel. I went with the lower power scope because most of the shots that can be taken in the areas I hunt are with in fifty yrds and have shot some as close a 25 feet and 3 power is kinda blurry at that close of a distance and 4 power is fine out to 150 yards just have to confident in your shot and shot placement.

I was looking at buying a slug barrel for my Browning Gold but balked when I saw they want over $400 for one. It would be nice but why would anyone do that when you can get a new 870 for less? I bought my wife a new 870 last year and only paid $290 for it.

I was looking at buying a slug barrel for my Browning Gold but balked when I saw they want over $400 for one. It would be nice but why would anyone do that when you can get a new 870 for less? I bought my wife a new 870 last year and only paid $290 for it.

I bought a Winchester Super X2 as a slug gun and later bought the bird barrell for it to the tune of $400. I have no regrets. This X2 is the best shooting gun I've owned. A little on the heavy side, but well worth it. I used to have a Browning Gold which is essentially the same as the X2. It too was a great gun. Both are some of the most reliable cycling guns you can find.