• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trying to put together an ice fishing trip

slabchaser

hey guys, im trying to put together an ice fishing trip with three buddies. we wanted to rent a sleeper for a weekend. something with like 8 holes. Ive never done this so I was hoping to get some input on some good resorts. I had looked at appledoons and was impressed. We are not totally sold on any one lake but dont want to travel more than 2-4 hours from the cities. Also would late january be too early? Thanks in advance guys?

We did Mille Lacs last year and Winnie/Leech the year before. I liked Winnie better. Of course we were chasing late seasons perch. We used Appledoorn's on Mille Lacs and Nodak's on Winnie. Both were good but we didn't do a sleeper. Again we were hole hopping for perch. I want to hit Devil's this year but that is quite a drive.

Bit farther than Mille-Lacs, but don't rule out URL.

I've used Highbanks on Winnie and we caught some fish and had a good time.

I've used Appledorns on Mille-Lacs a few times and Paul knows what he's doing and will set you up good.

Nothing wrong with either of these resorts. However, for the opportunity to catch walleye, crappie, perch, and pike from the same hole I'd be looking URL. The only outfitter I've used on URL is the Waskish Minnow Station and the infamous Jonny/Kelly/Patsy combo. No need for me to look elsewhere as they get the job done.

PAul at appledoorns is great but fishing has been so so the last couple of years. We try to get up to ML once a winter with some guys and always use Paul's houses. You know what you are getting when it comes to accomodations. Clean and great customer service.

You take the amtrak train from st. paul to devils lake, ND. Woodland resort will pick you up via shuttle service. I personally haven't done it, but it looks like a really good deal. The train leaves around 11:30 PM and you arrive at about 6:00 AM, so you get to sleep on the way there and have plenty of energy to fish all day smile If you check out their HSOforum you'll be able to find more info on it.

if you are thinking lake of the woods check out ken mar kee we us them in early nov. they are great pick u up at your cabin take you out to your fishhouse for the day and they provide the bait and they pick u up in the evening. warm fish cleaning house it is a cabin, fishhouse package costs about 300.00 bucks a peice for 3 nights in cabin and two days fishing also great bar/resturant at the lodge check them out good luck there are tons of resorts that offer the same package