• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

50 Evinrude E-Tec ...VS..... Yamaha 50 4- stroke

bassislife

Hello

I have a 50 Yamaha 4-stroke and not real happy with the troll down! It has the multifuction handle on the tiller that brings the RPMS down from 950 to 800, but it is still way to fast for trolling rigs. If the wind is not blowing 15 MPH or more I can't get it to troll down for rigging.

The best I can do is 1.20 MPH on a calm day, not real happy with this. Everyone claims it trolls down... IT DOES NOT!

I have talked to a guy that has had the Evinrude E-Tecs and says he loves them because they troll down very low around 400RPMs close to .50 MPH, perfect for live bait rigging.

Does anyone have a E-tec that would care to share the troll down speed? You talk to a salesman....and you can't believe a word they say!!

Since you have the Yamaha, why don't you just work with that instead of spending the big money for another motor. Just drag a wind sock, or install the "Happy Troller" for about $110.00. It installs in less than 15 minutes, locks up for cruising and down for trolling. Will get you down below .05 MPH and give you a better hole shot. Just a thought. I have a Yamaha, and my buddy has the E-Tech, Yamaha is a better motor in my opinion. Just a thought. Good luck.

That wasn't my question.

I own a drift sock, but I would rather not have to throw it out everytime I want to troll. Have you ever trolled tight structure? If you did you would know what I mean.

I know in this area Yamaha is top. I know many guides out in Wisconsin and Michigan that swear by E-Tec.

Just want some stats from e-Teck owners, don't really need opions... been fishing long enough to know my options. But thanks anyway.

From Cabelas HSOforum review:

Review 4 for The Happy Troller Fixed Position Trolling Plate

4 out of 5

Happy Trolling, May 27, 2009

By rjsportsman from Roscommon, MI

"Taking the advice from other reviewers, I added a 45 degree notch to the trolling plate. Using this intermediate notch, I can troll down to 1 mph with my Yamaha 50. Also, by running at higher rpm, my motor does not load up during extended trolling. This plate allowed me to do away with my kicker motor. This is a good product!"

Would you recommend this product to a friend? Yes

Just in case you where interested. He must have it on a 2 stroke because he talks about "loading"

- WIWF

If the lowest you can get your motor to troll in gear is 800 you need to have the idle adjusted.

Without using the VTS you should be at 800 in neutral and 600 in gear.

If you're not there you need to find a dealer and have them adjust it for you.

Can someone with any actual knowledge please reply?

Easy here... there is a broad range of people who post in this forum that range from highly experienced to highly inexperienced in operating a boat. Sometimes people (myself included) jump past the easy solutions because one assumes a consistent experience level with boats. Don't take it as an insult, take it as a basic question to make sure all the bases are covered.

marine_man

Perfect Reply from Marine Man. I wouldn't assume you will need anything other than an adjustment by your dealer. 800 sounds very high for your low idle in gear using VTS. My F75 does about 700 and could probably go lower if adjusted, and lower yet with VTS.

By chance, anyone ever have it adjusted by the dealer? How much? Is it a ECM software thing?

My dad's 100 yamy trolls down under 600 rpm. Like marineman stated 800 seems very high and you have a lot of room to go down from there. Worth a shot unless you just want a new etec. Certainly a lot less expensive if it'll get you where you want to be.

I think at 600rpm you won't be under a 1/2 mph, that a little unrealistic of a 50hp outboard on a calm day. Do yourself a favor and get an electric TM for the calm days. Boat control will be better, and you won't spook any fish in the shallows.

The dealer said that the RPM guages on most boats are not that accurate on low idle?? My boat is a 2008 Alumacraft Classic 165.

He said that 950 RPMs sounds high and said he is guessing that it is running closer to 800.

He also said that there is NO way to adjust any idle on any EFI motors.... they are preset at the factory and it is what it is!

My Motor is a F50, 2008. I guess the only way to find out if it the RPM's are correct is to run it in to the shop and have them hook it up to the computer.

If it is running to high (9500) and can get it down to (800) before I adjust it down, it then should get down closer to .75 MPH.

But like I said earlier... Anyone have any experience with the E-Tec's?

That's a bummer and just bad design with no way to adjust even if it meant going to the dealer to get it done. My dad has the tiller with the vro and he can get it down to where he needs it.

I do know that with the etec they come programmed for 800 rpm idle speed by you can take it to the dealer and have it reprogrammed for 500 rpms. That would likely get yuou closer to what your looking for. I know a couple of guys who have them and one loves his and the other likes his once he got through some initial injector issues.

Good Luck.

Thanks Borch

What HP does your buddy have that likes the e-tec? Do you know how low in mph (backtrolling) he can get it down on calm water?

He runs a 90 on a 618T Ranger and gets under 1 but if I recall not the .5 you're looking for. The 618T is a lot of boat as well.

That's very good for a 90HP, like I said mine will only get down to 1.20 with the 50 HP.

My guess is the e-tec 50 should get down between .50 mph and .75 mph , perfect for rigging.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll be looking next year for a new rig with the e-tec.

The dealer said that the RPM guages on most boats are not that accurate on low idle?? My boat is a 2008 Alumacraft Classic 165.

He said that 950 RPMs sounds high and said he is guessing that it is running closer to 800.

He also said that there is NO way to adjust any idle on any EFI motors.... they are preset at the factory and it is what it is!

If you're convinced you're after a E-tec so be it, but I don't believe your dealer. RPM Gauges can be inaccurate, but not by 150 RPM typically.. and you can adjust the idle on EFI's... and at a minimum, verify that the throttle is returning all the way to idle.

Does your dealer happen to sell E-tec's as well?

marine_man

No. They only sell Yamaha and Mercs.

However, I just got off the phone with Yamaha and they said my Tach must be off because you can't work the low end variable speed if the RPM's are over 900. He said I should bring it in to the dealer and have them test it to see what the actual RPM's are on there computer.

He also said there there is a slight adjustment that can be done on the throttle cable only, not on the throttle handle.

I tell you what.... there are alot of dealers and mechanics selling Yamahas that really don't know these motors very well!