• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adjusting Tilt/Trim Gauge Reading

nthomps66

Anyone have experience adjusting a tilt/trim gauge so it reads correctly again? When my motor is all the way down the gauge reads only half-down... Just kind of an annoyance more than anything.

'05 Crestliner Fishhawk 1750 w/ Yamaha F90

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

nthomps66,

Is it moving when you start to trim up? If not it could be the sending unit. I had to replace the gauge on my boat, relatively inexpensive and pretty straight forward.I don't know that there is any adjustments to the gauge itself. You are right it is an annoyance, you wonder if you're trimmed properly or not, usually the tach will tell you.

Hi marine_man, (or anyone)

I have a similar question; I recently purchased a trim gage for my 07 Sylvan. I also have a F115 Yamaha 4 stroke. The wiring harness has a 4 wire clip that plugs right into the back of the gage right where the gage mounts I figured this to be a piece of cake to install. BUT it has just been one big pain in the back side. When I plug in the gage the illumination light works when I turn on the lights but it has no needle moving at all.

Question 1,

Does the engine need to be running to have these gages work? If so that may be my problem, but was really hoping it worked when the master switch was on regardless of engine running or not.

Question 2,

How do these senders work? I only can trace 2 wires out of the sender, one redish/pink and one black. I figured there would be a “Hot” “Ground” & “Signal”?? Is it grounded how through the mounting?

Question 3,

These wires go out the left side and wrap back into the engine. They end up going to the middle back side of the fuse box. Then they are taped up in a harness that is tough to see.

I don’t really feel comfortable digging in to it any further. Do you know what color wires are fed up to the dash?

Thanks for any help provided.

Needless to say I am very disappointed with the dealer I bought this brand new boat at just two years ago. I even bought the trim gage from them and they claim they cannot get an answer from Sylvan or Yamaha.

Thanks Again!!

No the engine does not not need to be running but the key switch needs to be in the run position and obviously the motor must be moving up or down to see needle movement.

The sender is actually a rheostat or potentiometer. As the motor move up or down, the sender is internaly rotated, changing resistance thus changing the needle position on the guage.

I would tend to believe the colors would remain the same at the dash. I would think they would be part of the connector you mentioned.