• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how many of you guys use spinning reels?

say_der

Renneberg's sad tale about his spinning reel's drag made me curious as to how many of you guys use those vs. spincast or baitcasters?

I'd prefer to use a baitcaster, but I have yet to find one I can afford that will throw lighter lures decently.

I did pick up a limited edition Pinnacle this year that I'm hoping will work well for tossing lighter raps and spinners.

I use Spinning reels all the way. Baitcasting reels are generally just for heavier baits. Pretty much only use them for Bass and Pike fishing.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

I don't think there's a standard gear ratio for a spinning reel.

A rule of thumb is the more ball bearings you want,(smoother the drag) the more it's going to cost you.

Every reel and rod has a line rating in which it preforms best. You should make sure that the reels line rating matches that of the rods. Then make sure you keep your line within that rating and you'll get the maxium performance out of your rod, reel and line.

Be sure to match your line lb test to the lure you plan on throwing. For example use 2-4lb test line for a size 00-1 spinner. 6-10lb test line for a size 2-5 spinner. 4-6lb test line for rapalas size 7 and smaller. 8-10lb test line for rapalas size 9-11.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Using spinning tackle for over 30 years. Most important to me is a bail that works every time without fail. The second is Gear Ratio, 5.6 to 1 or higher. The size of the spool can make a differance here, a tiny 6 to 1 might not pull line as fast as a 5.4 to 1. Sounds like that Pinnacle is a good fast reel.

I used my old reliable ultra light spinning rig on opener last weekend - caught 7 rainbows between 9" & 14" - used Panther Martins and Roostertails.

Anyway, last night I finally tried out my new Pinnacle baitcaster. I was fishing for northerns at the time. It throws a light lure just fine. I couldn't believe the world of difference compared to my older baitcasters. I was throwing a Tiny Crazy Crawler with it - no problems. I couldn't believe how the northerns attacked that thing too. Great night of fishing.

For trout I use spinning reels exclusively.
I agree with the previous posters about paying attention to retrieve ratio.

Bass Pro catalogs list the amount of line retrieved per turn for each of the reels they carry which I've found very helpful and interesting. Of course you can also measure that yourself. With spinners especially, I try to use a lighter weight reel that retrieves at least 28" per turn.

[This message has been edited by uffdapete (edited 05-19-2004).]