• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bigger trout

Carl Spackler

Our utter lack of rainfall in this drought is making for really low and clear streams, as we have all noticed. In some of the deeper pools, I've seen some bruiser trout, just hanging out. I have caught some small browns...but I was wondering if there is any way to tease the big guys just sitting in the bottom of the pools. Do you try to drop streamers in front of them? Or do you have to wait until low-light hours of the day? I prefer using the fly-rod. Any ideas?

Red Horse spawning in the bigger part of the rivers has turned on a carp-egg smorgesborg for trout. However, large trout get large by being the most cautious and timidest fish in the stream. If you can see them chances are they have already seen you.
Try a more stelthier approach.
OR move down to bigger water and try an egg pattern about half the size of a soy bean in cream to tan color on #18 to #14 hook.
I used a Bio-Bait Larva Monday 5/3 (resembles egg)and had good results on large trout, nothing over 20" though. This spawn will probably run it's course soon.
Good luck!
Spindoctor