• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which rod and reel combo for panfish?

esox49

Just was wondering what is a good rod and reel to use for panfish for my two daughters ages 6 and 8. I want the reels to be the push button spincast reels, but I do not want something cheap. I want a rod and reel that will last!!!!!! Any suggestions? Thanks!

I would look at a spinning rod, you can get some for little money. Plus you and the gals can fish slip bobbers much easier. They will be moving to such gear later anyway. I have taught young kids how to use them quickly, stay with a shorter rod at first, 5 1/2 ft seem easier for youngester to use.

My suggestion is if you want it to last dont get push buttons. I dont know how old you are but my guess is your kids have more dexterity then you do, learning with a spinning reel will take no time at all. The hassle you have with push buttons will outweigh any benefits from short term easier casting. I have a little girl 7 right now that has used a spinning rod for a long time. Just hook up a sinker and have them pratice in the back yard. If you are worried about it becoming submerged they make little floaters for rods. If you do that buy Gloomis and brag to your buds about your kids rods. Have fun whatever you decide.

I also agree on the spinning rather than spincast. UL on a 5 foot stick like the Cabela's house brand. That is what I mainly still use and I am 60. My nieces and my sisters picked up spinning in a heartbeat, and that is actually less troublesome than spincast.

That choice will be good for a life time, just don't stint on the reel by going really bargain basement.

A Shakespeare Prius UL for maybe 20 or less and the Cabela's UL rod for about the same, and then a decent limp line no heavier than 6#. About 45 per rig and then they will each have something they can handle right off without breaking the bank and will still work dependably for a long time. If either decides to quit fishing, you get an extra functional setup.

If you are dead set on spincast for a first outfit consider a Lady Shakespeare UL combo. The girls might take a little more pride in that than a "plain old guy's fishing rod".