• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are opinions of Mann -1 and -4 baits?

Ufatz

A gent gave me a hand-full of little hard baits called Mann's Baby minus 1 and I think the other name is -4. They run shallow and just barely under the surface. I'm hoping bass fishing will pick up this week. What do you fellas thing of these little baits??

I've been using some 75-year old wooden plugs called Injured Minnows.

ive used them. havent had much luck though. not sure if i'm doing something wrong or what. i dont use them often though. i guess they'd work good over weeds that come up almost to the surface, ut for that stuff i usually punch a jig or heavy worm through it or fish pockets. like ive said i have a couple and have used them a it but not enough to be an expert.

I absolutely love the 1- in the baby bass color on clear lakes, and in the tiger color for stained lakes. If you're fishing shallow where you might consider a spinnerbait or something similar due to weeds, try those baits out instead. They put off some noise under water, plus the fact that they run just under the surface makes for exciting hits typically. It definitely has a specific application, but there are times that I can't catch fish on a spinner, but crankbaits do the trick, and this crankbait just plain fishes areas that are tough with others. Even throw those into sparse lily pads and zig-zag it through. Its all a matter of using it at the right time honestly, so just try them out.

i have some of the minus 1 and really like them. i have the same perspective as aaron if you think you could use a spinner then try the minus 1. I catch more fish on crankbaits it seems and this little lure helps out alot. My girlfriends cousins used alot of them while i was on there vacation 2 weeks ago and they caught alot of bass on them. they also make a walker i believe that rids just bellow the surface and that was a killer bait.

try them out you wont be dissapointed.

I use them all the time and love them. I really like fishing them in and around the weeds and I'll normally take the front treble off to make them more weedless. Fantastic strikes when walking them on top.

Those shallow running crank baits work great when bass are hitting top water. Most of the time I fish it slower, popping it and letting it sit for a bit, before popping it again, but I also like to fish them with a steady retrieve so they just break the surface.