• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Christmas Lake

Trailblazin

Trailblazin, welcome to the wonderful world of trout.

Are you using a spinning rod? If so, guys use panther martin spinners and the like. They seem to do pretty good on them. Others use wax worms or crawlers either on a bobber or split shot and floated off bottom. PLEASE remember to set the hook quickly because they will swallow your bait right away.

For flies try a dragonfly nymph, clouser minnow, or deer hair caddis, just to name a few.

Tight lines.

I've had great luck with 5 inch twister tails on a 1/8oz jig head. The best colors is purple, black, brown and white.

I didn't see or hear of any trout caught out of this lake last winter, so fishing for them maybe slow.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

I recommend using using a downrigger and a set of cowbells with a worm harness attached. Fish it anywhere between 10' and 20' down. I have had pretty good luck this way in the past.

Any one having 'trout' luck on Christmas yet this year?

I've fished there a few times in the last couple years, but I still have yet to learn how to catch those elusive trout. I've tried and failed... maybe this will be a new year. I've tried trolling with vairous types of baits, but nothing. When I've tried I'm going about 2mph... maybe I'm trolling too fast? Any suggestions would be welcome smile.gif

~Patrick

On the average, 2 mph is about as fast as you will want to go. I had my best luck around 1.2 mph +/- .5 mph.

This time of year is usually prime. I cant give you an up-to-the-minute report becase I moved out of the area. Focus on water 25'-45' with small crank baits(#5 shad rap, jointed rapalas, small countdown raps), inline spinners up to #3, and little cleo spoons in the blue/silver pattern have been my top producers. Focus on the NE bay to start, and troll your way down the east side of the lake... and follow the shore to the SW side of the lake. Troll with a very long line and use the lightest line possible .. I prefer 6 lb mono..leave the *Vanish* at home because it stretch's too much.

Natural colors work the best.

Dont think for a minute trout are illusive and wary... in fact they are quite stupid .. they just dont bite until they are ready to eat.. and it always seems they all eat at the same time. If the bite is good, long line trolling is not neccessary.. they will hit in your boat wake. If you are not reading many fish in the deep water on your electronics.. this is a good sign, it means the fish are up high.

Thanks a bunch Fisher Dave! I've tried the blue & silver cleos before, but maybe the fish just were not hungry smile.gif

I have a feeling I will break the ice this year and catch some trout!

Thanks again.

~Patrick

Just curious... is trolling the only/best way to get trout on Christmas?

Obviously you cover more water that way... but I'm just wondering if casting would be worth the bother. I like to cast and trolling is more 'boring' for me... that's why I ask.

Thanks

When I've been fishing Christmas in the past, I've seen quite a few carp in the lake (mostly in the shallows).

Speaking of the deep water trout on Christmas... When I've been on the lake in the past I've marked many fish in different deep water areas on my locator... for example in 40' of water I'd mark fish from 35' up to 15' or so... however, I've wondered if they were just a bunch of carp.

Obviously there no way to be sure to know what's down there without catching one from the depths or using a cam of some sort... but I was wondering what you guys think about those fish I've marked in the past (and probably will mark this Friday evening when I head out there)... what are they?

I have fished trout on alot of lakes, including Superior, and the trout come from all different depths...they don't seem to school up like panfish. Through the ice, you can watch them come in at all different ranges and when you are looking down the hole, with a jacket over your head, unless you have some really dead reflexes, the big one that comes through 2 inches under the ice will scare the bejeebers out of you. They are probably trout.

If you are fishing bait, you might consider using a circle hook as there is a smaller hook mortality rate because the fish are generally hooked in the corner of the mouth. Don't set the hook! Just tighten up on the fish and it will be hooked.
They're quite popular among the salt anglers and gaining in popularity elsewhere. I've used them with great success before.

------------------
stu

[This message has been edited by nkambae (edited 06-26-2004).]

Man... I used to slay the trout in that lake. I'd really like to give her another go but if my memory serves me, didn't there used to be a horsepower restriction at the public access? 25hp if I remember right...

With the new boat, my 75hp sort of puts me on the S.O.L. list for that lake. I do however have a 4hp kicker. If I didn't use the big motor and just the kicker, am I good to go? Or am I going to be guilty just by the possession of the 75?

Thanks.....

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

I've fished christmas twice in the last week and did not have any issues with boat traffic.

As far as the trout go, didn't catch any. Hadn't been there in about 10 years. Are they still stocking this lake regularly? When I used to fish it we'd usually catch at least a couple every time out. We tried drifting crawlers and trolling with Rapalas. Didn't even mark anything on the graph. From reading the other posts, I think I need to try some other locations. When I'd been there before, we'd always caught them in the bay with the launch.

Does anyone know what the depth of the thermocline is? In theory my depth finder will show it but when I turned up the sensitivity it appeared to be marking it at about 16-17 feet. Does that sound right?

Wally