• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wisconsin River Fishing Reports-Prairie duChien-Stevens Point-WI Dells

Out this morning on the Biron Flowage, 5:30 -8:00. Trying some new spots, only my second year fishing the Biron. Tough morning, only 3 short walleyes caught on jig/spinner and crawler. Nothing on cranks.

Water temp was 52-54 degrees. Walleyes caught in 9-11 feet of water in slack water off of current.

Good luck everyone.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biron Flowage: Water temp was 59 degrees.

4 walleyes all on jigs, tried a spinner and had no luck.

Got a really nice slot fish on a whistler jig and crawler. Slot fish was a personal best on the Biron flowage, 25 inches.

Out yesterday on the Biron flowage with the family. Water temp 62 degrees. A lot of non fisherman boat traffic. We trolled spinners and cranks. Ended up with about half dozen 10-14 inch walleyes, while dodging waves, jet skis, and boaters.

Went out yesterday on the Biron flowage with the family. My wife, I have to admit, out fished me. She caught about 15 walleyes to my 5. Trolling orange spinners on bottom bouncers and cranks on 3-way rigs.

First fish of the day was a nice 12 inch crappie caught on a orange spinner/bottom bouncer.

Out of Galecke on the Biron Flowage today, 5:30-9:30am. Surface temp 74 degrees.

Fish are really active. Mixed bag today, walleyes, crappie, catfish, and even a bluegill.

Most fish caught on a spinner rig on a bottom bouncer or three way. Spinners outfished crank baits 5 to one.

Beautiful morning on the WI.

Out this past weekend both mornings. Water temp 78 degrees.

Fished Biron flowage on Saturday morning, slow bite on spinners for walleyes. Found walleyes in the 16 foot range around structure on jig/spinner and crawlers.

WI rapids Flowage on Sunday am. Only one walleye, catfish and smallmouths wouldn't leave me alone, fun morning.

Out the morning of 8-14-11. Water temp 68 degress. Biron flowage.

4 walleyes, 3-4 cats (one nice one). The one larger cat hit a bottom bouncer with spinner and almost took the rod out of the holder. Fun fight.

Good luck all.

Out this am from 6:30 to 11:00. Shore fishing suckers on the WI river, we ended up with 5 legal walleyes(10-12 total). 4-5 nice catfish, biggest around 5 lbs. 3-4 bass.

No larger walleyes. Most of the walleyes caught on suckers on lindy rigs with a bare hook or a floater. A few walleyes on river shiners. Walleyes shut down around 10:30.

A great morning to be out fishing with my son.

Out again this am on WI river. Very slow morning. Half dozen walleyes with 3 being legal.

Even though it was a slow morning I did catch my PB walleye on the WI river, a nice fat healthy 27 incher.

All fish caught on lindy rigs with suckers and river shiners.

Good luck all.

Fished the Biron flowage yesterday am. Water temp 34-35 degrees. The dock is not in yet at Galecke, landing is fine though. Lot of people out. Water is a little high but still fine to fish.

15-20 walleyes caught, 3-4 legal fish. All fish caught on a jig and fathead. Fish caught in slack water breaks from 8-11 ft of water.

Threw the waders on today and headed to the river. Water is a bit high, and still pretty cold. Caught a bunch of walleyes, no legals. Live bait, 2-3 fow in the slower stretches. Action wasn't very fast paced, and barring any bad weather the bite should be getting pretty good soon. Headed to the Fox tomorrow to chase some giants.

Went out of Galecke on the Biron flowage this am. The dock is out. Water temp 52 degrees.

I had a mixed bag day. A lot of short walleyes and one in the slot at 21 inches. Not one legal eye. 3 nice crappies. 2 smaller smallies.

All fish caught on a jig and minnow in slack water off of the faster current, 9-12 feet of water. A few of the males were milting. I think the female still had eggs.

Good luck.

Went out today with the waders at the spillway(biron flowage). Water has come down significantly since monday, and the temperature has risen quite a bit. Walleyes were hungry. I fished for about 2 hours and caught around 30 walleyes, all short except for one legal 15" fish that was released. I was using jig/minnow but also saw folks having some success with cranks and other artificials.

I tried dragging some cranks shallow to deep looking for some larger fish with no success. But I was down river from Galecke.

Lunker,

How are the snags up by the spillway throwing jigs? Are you right at the spillway or farther down towards Blue Heron?

Riverfish,

The spillway is basically one big snag. I was wading, so as long as I can cast downstream and work lighter jigs in the current I don't have much of a problem. I was a couple hundred yards downstream from the spillway itself. Throwing shallow cranks or using a float are other ways to keep from losing too much hardware on this stretch. Definitley don't see as many bigger fish in this stretch being so shallow, but lots of action.

Lunker,

I was just wandering how jig control was with the current and snags. I have fished the Nekoosa area from shore a lot in the past with jigs and seemed to have a lot of control issues. Too light can't feel anything, too heavy snag. I fish spillway to Blue Heron area later in the spring/early summer when boat traffic is down and current flow is down. Plenty of fish downstream, with out the traffic. I also ice fish the face of the dam. The Biron flowage is a great stretch of the WI river.

Biggest I have heard from other boaters at the landing so far up by Blue Heron is 27 incher.

I definitley know what you mean and the spillway is no exception, throw a big jig and you're snagged everytime. I usually fish it when the water is down enough that I can wade, which usually means the current is slow enough to fish a lighter presentation. A week ago it was still pretty high but it has come down considerably since then.

Water is way down in the Stevens Point area. Fished today for a couple hours. Caught 15-20 walleyes, 3 right around the legal mark but too close for comfort. Also caught my first cat of the year.

Stopped at a few of my shore/wading spots. Water continues to remain way low, and there is very little water moving through right now. Fishing was poor, managed one small eye and a couple of smallies.