• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm going after ice-out crappies with different tactics this year. I found a couple places in the past that held them shallow early so I was going to try those little spinnerbaits, tiny torpedos (Heddon, not DuPont), and unweighted plastics in the 3" range. Give them something other than a minnow on a bobber in the reeds to look at.

Went out to Allouez Bay yesterday afternoon. Needed to test out my new JM5000 hub shelter! Forgot the shovel so snow banking was much, I only have the mr heater lil buddy for heat. I was out for about 4.5 hours and was comfortable the whole time. Bigger heater may be needed for such a large shelter. Easy set up and take down. Only bad thing is I caught no fish! Think its to soon for a really good perch bite out there.

I'm thinking the same thing. No closed season for LMB, SMB, and Northerns in Iowa. Not that I'd keep anything, but a few days jump on the action. might be fun. Average ice-out dates for Northwest Iowa are between 3/28 and 4/8. Average highs in the area for Mid-April run around 60 degrees (yeah, I've been looking at this REAL hard). Walleye season is the same as WI so that's a wash.

Drove by the cabin Sunday afternoon. The Mighty Minnie is still locked solid, not even that yukky gray look you get a week or so before ice-out. Did not drive over to the NE side, but I bet you could almost still walk out and fish. Pitiful, just plain pitiful. It looks like it will be cutting it close to that 5/3 general opener.

We opened the cabin on Lake Nebagamon this weekend. It's not looking good for opener. The ice is pulling away from shore, but has a ways to go before ice out. Here is a picture from this morning. A local is predicting ice out in 10 days. No clue on the spearing question.

full-833-45030-image.jpg

Finally able to get the boat out of storage and onto the water. Fished Thursday for about 4 hours on the Mighty Minnie. 3 LMB and the obligatory 18-inch snake. Tough fishing. Two bass were caught on a frog off green lillies (of which there were few of yet). The third came out of some of those "fishsticks" by the forest. The NP came off some weed bed. One LMB was 17", another was 16" and the third around 14". No Spook fish and no fish off points. VERY little weed cover. Did not hit the points all that hard except at the beginning. Surface temps rand the gamut from 68.5-73. Nothing off the sunken islands or points. Hopefully the lake will shake itself out. Will try and hit it this upcoming weekend and pull out all the stops (may even try water over my head...GASP!..). BTW if you want to attract Grackles, chuck your frog up into the shoreline brush and pull on it a few times in hopes of getting out without having to beach your boat. Apparently they love that. Had like 15 of them around the frog. Not attacking it or anything. Just watching it and occasionally squawking.

Got out for about five hours on Saturday. One nice SMB and a few keeper LMB, a number of dinks, and the obligatory Snot Rocket. Most keeper fish were on a Spook or frog. The NP came on a spinner bait (go figure). Nothing on cranks or swimjigs (honestly! I even tried them). Got out for about an hour on Sunday AM. Did well though. Three keeper LMB and a couple of dinks. All on frogs because it was raining real hard and I just took the boat down to the south shore and threw into lilly pads. The rain got worse and I called it a day. Of course the sky cleared out right as we were packing up to head home.