• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If the time is right (and I remember to bring it in the boat) I will pull out the 4 wt. flyrod. Mostly get bigger 'gills and some crappies. But, once in awhile a 1-2lb Smallie will suck up the popper. That also takes a long time to end.

Fishing has been hit n miss the last couple of weeks. Sounds cliche but when the bite is on, it is hot! Then there are the long hours of no action. Seems to be a trend (for me anyhow). Best baits are a plethra of lures for trolling, and casting. Here's a couple snap shots of recents..

0EBCDB9C-51F9-4F8E-B8C8-9F92ED861744-877

58379ACC-296A-4B3F-AC79-0E7835145AA4-877

2AA32D1B-C799-447D-8851-D814F4598093-877

Got out a couple hours Saturday evening. Caught five LMB. Three measured and two were "sub-optimal". Most on a frog. Missed three on the frog. Got out Sunday from about 5:00-10:30am. Caught eight LMB with six measuring. Six on the frog and two on a spook. Missed four blow ups. Lost three on jumps. They look pretty when they jump but that frog hook comes out easy. Once I started keeping the rod tip in the water when they thought about going airborne, I didn't lose a fish. Nicest thing was... no Northerns.

Got out a little bit on Saturday evening. A few LMB on top. Got out early Sunday. Lost a real nice SMB at the boat on a spook (screwing around looking for the net that I did not put in the right place before I left). Action picked up around 8:30 with 4 fish coming on the frog. Off by 10:30.

About time I got on a lake with some fish in it. Boat in at 12:30. Fished for about 2.5 hours. Took a bit to dial them in but after an hour, six fish with five of them measurable. All LMB and all on a frog. Measurables went between 15.5-18.5 inches. Missed four fish.

Got out Saturday evening. Did fairly well. Seven fish total with six LMB and the obligatory Slimer. Four measured. Four on the frog, two on the Spook. Northern on a swimjig. Sunday I actually hit the rockpile and lost a HUGE fish. Don't know if it was a big 'eye or SMB. That's what I get for playing with spinning tackle the first time in two years. Drag was way too tight and I forgot to turn off the anti-reverse and back-reel. It pulled tight, line snapped. I was P.O'ed something fierce.

Yeah, it'll have a jig head and Power Bait 3" shiner somewhere in/on it. Rest of Sunday was OK. Caught about 5 LMB. Three measured. Also pulled in a 24" NP. One thing I did notice was that on both Saturday and Sunday, whatever went after the frog (not just blow-ups next to it) really swallowed it good. I only lost one fish after hook-up all weekend (not my usual 45-55 hook-up percentage).

Saturday was OK. Fished 6:30am-11:00. Caught 6 LMB with 4 measuring and the obligatory 15" NP. Tried getting out in the afternoon. Yeah, played "dodge boat" almost the entire time. The "Walter and Mables" were out in full force and God forbid they would have to venture more than 10 yards from shore in their pontoon. Fished Sunday from 6:30-9:30 and it was a complete bust. No fish, two blow ups. I do have a new name for one of the bays. It's that bay by the bar (not the one with the county park) I call it "Holiday Afternoon Bay" because it's the only place to fish during the holiday afternoons grin

Fishing has been pretty good on local lakes as of late, except for the windy days struggling with boat control we have been able to locate several different species of fish. Looking forward to closing season out for hunting, and getting prepped for ice! Hope everyone else enjoyed a nice summer

What's everybody's plan for this winter? I will be out on the Mighty Minnie around Christmas (I do not play with "early ice") and after until VERY early April if conditions are right. Will post when I get out. Have safe and productive outings (remember they are just slimey fish, ain't worth it)!!

Fished minni or the first time this ice season and it was sllllooowww! I thought for sure we would get into some fish before this cold front! Aw well! Ice is not good with "snow, ice, slush and ice layers". The only good thing about this cold, is maybe it'll help DEEP freeze the lake situations up here! Good luck n be safe out there

Raider, I was thinking, if the PETA folks really wanted to, the could probably make a case against you for animal cruelty, what with all your harassing of those bucket-mouths with your zaras. how's the old saying go? Those who can, do. Those who can't, spook? Well at least we know the bass are same for another 17 weeks and one day. laugh

PP: No, no, no! Bass are safe until 5/3/14 (using usual opener date of 1st Saturday in May). Crappies on the other hand, I am going to fish for them using "new and unusual methodology". I'm going after the big-'uns!! Big-'Uns I tell ya!!! grin