• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I fished the bay on Altoona Sat - about 3-6 inches of ice. Caught a nice 18.5" largemouth and then we ended up with a couple perch and a gill. Hit and miss like usual on that lake according to the guys we talked to. They were venturing out a couple hundred yards into the main lake. I would guess they will be fishing the main lake soon. My old man will be out there this week so I'll let you know how he does.

Made it out to 'tooner yesterday. Fished the northeast bay for about 2 hours. Took home 3 crappies and 3 perch. Surface temps were 58 there and around 54 in the rest of the lake. Crappies had spawn in them, a bit early but they are starting to get going.

What a beautiful day to be out!! That being said..what a great day on the water!!!! Brought the kids out to Altoona this afternoon/early evening, and did awesome on the perch. We fished shallow with waxies and minnows and had a ball catching and keeping 10 nice perch and one nice crappie. Enough for dinner tomorrow night! Wait.. I may be back tomorrow night!

Back at it tonight, and the wind blew harder, and the fish bit harder, too! No problem finding a limit of perch and crappie. Waxies and minnows did the work again, but the bigger fish seemed to like the minnows. After limiting out on panfish I focused on walleyes. I found them, but most were short. Trolled the shoreline, lost one maybe 18", while I was trying hard not to crash my boat, then landed a 22" hog to cap off the night. Great night fishing once again!

05-05-09_2135.jpg

Sorry, cell phone picture!

Took a friend and his daughter to Altoona last night, just fishing for whatever bites. We caught quite a few perch, some real jumbos. Still catching them fairly shallow, on crawlers, or peglegs. Nothing taking the minnows last night. One short walleye was caught, never got a chance to try and troll for them last night, as my buddy's little girl was having way too much fun with the perch. Which is what it's all about!!!

Hearing mixed reports from most of the area lakes - seems like you just need to go and hope the fish cooperate. I'll be on Altoona Saturday plus I know several other guys who will be there between today and Sunday so I should have a report by Monday.

As usual mixed reports for Altoona - just a matter of being there when they turn on. I'm heading out now for perch/crappies and then eyes the last half hour. Truck went through on Sat so best advice is to walk or take a wheeler/sled out for now.

I've been on Altoona 4 times in the past week. Last week Tues and Thurs were pretty good - brought home 8 each day, mostly perch but a few dandy crappies. Yesterday and Sat were much slower, only managed a few each day. As usual there, the ave size is good on both perch and crappies.

Was out there yesterday from 3:30 til 5, caught just 2 perch. Marked fish but couldn't get them to bite until about 4:30 and then instead of a last light bite didn't even mark a fish until I left at 5.