• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Relative Conditions

Jim W

Spending quite a bit oftime this past weekend, catch and Release season and regular season Trout fishing several variables have impacted the bite. I thought I would share what others and I have observed!

1. Low Flow! Non spring or little spring fed waters are running very low and slow. I now have witnessed waters or should I say land like I have never seen before! Trout relate to flow and there isn't much to be found!
This can impact natural invertebrate hatches as well. Temeratures are increasing much faster than normal as well.

Granted I have fished some designated waters that have several feeds that seem to be managing......ok.

2. Sucker and Redhorse spawning. IN waters "less" designated and those with stronger populations of redhorse and suckers, the bite during the spawns has significantly dropped off the table!
I noticed consecutive spawns from the white sucker right into the redhorse spawn.

For a "hardware" trout fisherman, this has been somewhat of a frustrating year!
I am leaning towards a moderate level of trout feeding on said spawn/eggs.

Plus, if you have ever noticed this activity, these spawning fish dominate the shallows!! All day! Does this effect the trout? Again I am leaning towards that!

Fast rising water temps, over abundance of food and lack of current in headwaters seem to be having a large impact o nthis streams fishing!

What to do? Pray for rain and head to big water until then.
Numbers aren't there, but Sarge and I capped off Trout Day catching two very nice trout in the late evening. His was a beautiful 18 incher!!(NOTE: this fish had a distinct pink/orange hue to it's outside coloring. More than I have ever noticed. What color are eggs?)
Mine was a moderately built 22 incher!
Both caught and released in a 5 minute span of time!

On a positive note, I have put on many miles of stream in my waders this year,getting shpae , catching and enjoying the beautiful Spring out of doors. ON the flip side, now that I am getting in prime wading shape it's time to get more boating action in!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Jim,

Pretty much most of what you've stated I have noticed in my fishing. Since I'm a hardware fisherman it has been rather frustrating.

Fishing yesterday, I noticed that the sucker populations are starting to return to normal. But the water is still VERY low.

As for the Suckers spawn, It seems to be a milky yellow. It is all over in the shallow slow/no moving waters of the rivers. As you wade you can be up to your knees in the stuff.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z