• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

duck and goose calls

I am new to duck hunting and don't have my own calls yet, I was just wondering what anyone would recommend. I don't want to spend a fortune and am looking for something that sounds good but is also easy to use. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Get a short reed and a good instructional DVD like bad gramer. You don't need to go out and get a $100 or $200 goose call. There are some good cheaper calls out there that will get the job done. I would suggest to go out to a sporting goods store and try a few different calls and see what you like. Then its all about practice practice practice

As far as goose calls the best one ive ever owned was a Lohman Long Honker. Very easy to use and sounds great and I think it is around $30. I havent had very good luck with duck calls, ive bought probably 10 different ones and never been completely satisfied with one yet. The best one though was just a cheap wood call made by Faulk's that I lost so I cant remember which model it was.

sam, im sure you will get a lot of answers but here is my advice, go to gander or cabelas and find a single reed primos. It will be around 25 bucks. A couple nice primos are a wench or I like the P.H.A.T lady. Also I believe Zink makes some lower priced calls around the same price. Would be worth taking a look at them. You will also need a goose call a flute would be a good starter but if it were me I would buy a cheap short-reed because it opens up a lot more for you.

for a goose call tha long honker is to me the easiest to start out on and as everyone said go try a bunch of differnt ones out and see what is the most comfortable for you to use. Don't get wrapped up in high dollar ones until you are sure thats what you want.

For goose calls I would suggest a buck gardner hammer II. It is a really nice call and is under $20. Learn how to use a short reed and if you feel like it then move up to a more expensive call. I still use my hammer sometimes instead of the more pricey calls. It just kills geese grin

Another vote for the canada hammer had a buddy start out on one and now he is up the a FSM. great call for the money and good luck.

for duck calls buy a lower end polycarb call $30-40 that fits you. just think of all those $10 calls you lost and didnt like add it up and you could of had an acrylic by now.

Look for a buck gardner double nasty combo pack. For around 25 to 30 bucks you'll get a easy to blow double reed, with a training cd, a calling coach (plays the different calls at the push of a button) and a hunting dvd.

Plan on buying lots of calls and gear. If you get into it {calling and duck hunting } believe me you will have lots of calls in few years. You will have fun checking out the new models every year. You can get some short instructions on the D.U.HSOforum. Also listen to recordings of real calls by each species. The only duck call I have bought that blows wet { and lots of makes will say that} is a Cutt Down Call. Nothing more frustrating than when a flock is coming towards you and you blow the call and it sounds like a new years horn cause it is wet !They can all sound great in the store but when it is cold your warm breath will condense in the call. You'll see. Hope you have a memorable season !

more than anything, spend just as much time learning how to tune calls correctly as you do practicing your calling. ive seen way too many guys that think they can just go to a store, drop $150 for a strait meat honker or moneymaker, and cant blow it to save their lives, and instead of tuning it so they can blow it, decide to sell it, lose money, and buy another shiny new call. theres so many great instructionals out there, theres no reason why a guy cannot take a $20 call and kill birds with it.