• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

friday 04/30 report

mark p

Went with a friend on firiday hoping to hit a good caddis hatch. We never saw one, I assume because it was cool and cloudy the whole day. We were catching some trout nymphing, but around noon I decided to tie on a caddis even though I hadn't seen any all morning. Caught more than enough to make my friend switch and we caught trout on top the rest of the afternoon. Had the best luck with a gray caddis, but also caught them on olive and brown.

Mark P, I didn't see any hatches this weekend, but did see trout rising. What they were eat I have no clue since I didn't see any bugs on the water.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Renneberg,

I didn't see more than 5-10 trout rise all day and we fished from 9:30-5:00. I just decided to try dry's for the heck of it and it happened to be a great choice. I had one pool that I caught 12 out of and even had 2 trout come completely out of the water at the same time. Each one took 1 of the 2 caddis I had on. Unfortunately I ended up with 0 instead of a double out of that. I assume they had seen enough caddis when it was warmer that they decided to take advantage of the opportunity when they saw some.

It barely got above 50 on friday so I assume that's why nothing was hatching. Is there a certain temperature that is needed for the to caddis hatch?

I was out on Friday and saw a few caddis dropping eggs. There were adult caddis in the bushes, but nothing hatching anew.

Water temp and sunlight affect this, as well as timing. When I looked for pupae, many were empty so they had already hatched in this area.

Caddis elicit explosive strikes because they come to the surface with an air bubble and take flight almost immediately. Also, you were catching fish on caddis in the absence of a hatch. Yes, the fish will remember a hatch somewhat. But since caddis hatch sporadically throughout the summer they are a great searching pattern.

It's pretty common to see just a few caddis, as opposed to mayflies, which are more prone to blanket hatches.

On that note, there was light mayfly activity on the water as well, which made for day-long hatches and a real happy camper here.